1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports 2015 Autos (Gen4 Prius hints etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by wjtracy, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The RAV4 XLE uses "Premium" fabric, and actually that was one of my favourites. Only the Limited edition uses SofTex.

The only problem is that fabric isn't the greatest with kids. They spill all sorts of crap all over the place.

As far as synthetics go, I'm perfectly fine with SofTex, but if I had a choice and didn't have young kids, I might choose premium fabric over SofTex and even leather. I don't quite understand the fascination with leather. I have both fabric and leather couches at home and I prefer the fabric ones, at least for feel. Obviously they don't do well with spills though. With cars, the nice fabrics are well... nice, and if you choose the right colours, they can hide dirt pretty well. The base Toyota fabrics are kinda bleah though.

Is it really just the resistance to stains that people like it or the feel? Because for me, for feel the fabrics usually win... but I do like SofTek so far. Haven't tried it in the summer though. In the summer, fabric >>>>> leather.

I didn't understand what you meant by matching the expectations of the Avalon.

#41 Eug, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new synthetics are designed to reflect infrared. They should stay cool. Even the newer leather seems cooler.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I would like to have premium fabric if they're offered. What's "Premium" fabric? Well in my mind, it's one that feels rich, looks nice, grips well but doesn't show dust and dirt easily. Some of the "fabric" that is offered on compact cars nowadays have durability in mind, which means they're rather rough and look rather cheap (case in point, the current generation Corolla LE with its "premium" fabric. I haven't seen the CE but the LE's fabric doesn't scream "premium" to be and looks rather cheap. This is in contrast to the 10th generation Corolla where there is a noticeable difference between the cloth seats on the CE and the "premium cloth" seats in the LE which looks nice (it's patterned) and actually feels nicer and a softer (the CE's fabric looks and feels cheap, like a worn soft toy).

So yeah, the fabric on base models that Toyota offer are rather crappy.

It could be both - it's tougher, doesn't stretch as much (so the foam in the seat doesn't get compressed as much so the seat doesn't feel sunken after 10 years) and it's easier to clean (but you have to maintain it, otherwise it'll dry and crack).

SofTex, well it depends on which ones. The guys in the Prius c forums will hate me for this, but the Prius c's SofTex doesn't feel that nice. The one in the RAV4 EV feels great and can almost pass as real leather. The Prius, Prius v and current gen RAV4 are somewhere in between (although I think the RAV4 and Camry's SofTex are better than the Prius/Prius v probably because they've improved it since launching it in the Prius family).

What I mean is that the Avalon buyer has a higher expectation for their vehicle than say, a Corolla buyer. The Avalon buyer expects nicer materials (plastics, wood, leather, fabric). If Toyota is to replace the leather option in the Avalon with SofTex, the SofTex needs to look and feel as expensive as the leather they would put in the Avalon. It's similar to the leather offered in the Avalon version the one offered in the Corolla (9th Gen). The one in the Corolla is obviously going to be of lower quality than the one offered in the Avalon. (And if you want buttery smooth, try out the semi-aniline leather seats that Lexus offers. You'll notice a difference between the "standard" leather that they offer as well)

4. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The leather seats in the Lexuses I checked out were indeed nice, but I still preferred the premium fabric in the 2015 RAV4 XLE.

So for feel, 2015 RAV4 XLE premium fabric > 2015 Lexus leather > 2012 PiP SofTek >>>> base model 2012 Prius v fabric.

The Lexus leather did look more expensive though (and no doubt it is much, much more expensive).

#44 Eug, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the SofTex has been upgraded. I sat in the 2015 Prius v again at the auto show and made note of the SofTex. It felt grainier than I remembered (either 2012 Prius v or 2012 Prius) and in some places, it actually creased when you press on it, like real leather.

Of course the Prius c's SofTex can't compare. It definitely feels a bit more rubbery than the one in the v. Sorry guys.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess you haven't ran a fingernail along its vertically grained plastic to see how easily it scratches.
    I do not recall seeing any other car with such a poor decision in panel design.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe, but it's worth the scratches if it recycles easier.