1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports: Best cars for making it to 200,000 miles - Top 10 all Toyota & Honda, Prius #1

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Eug, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Didn't see this posted, so here ya go:

Best Cars for Making It to 200,000 Miles - Consumer Reports

Almost any car can make it to 200,000 miles if you’re willing to throw enough money at it. But that doesn’t mean that keeping it is a good idea. A less expensive and more hassle-free way to go is to simply buy a safe and reliable model in the first place, and properly maintain it for the long haul. Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual, take care of minor problems as they arise, keep it clean, and you should be good to go.

The models listed below are all safe bets. Of the 1.1 million vehicles represented in our annual subscriber survey, these are the ten cars, SUVs, and minivans respondents most often reported as having more than 200,000 miles.

--

With seating for five, hatchback versatility, rock-solid reliability, and an amazing 44-mpg overall in our tests, there’s a lot to like about the Prius. That’s why it’s a top-scorer in our Ratings, and a perennial favorite in our owner satisfaction surveys. And those owners like to drive them, with more examples on the far side of 200K than any other model in our survey.

MMBH, DeadPhish, monkeymail and 3 others like this.
  2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda, with that being said, I am very suprised Subaru is not on this list. I have owned 4 over the years and all have been trouble free. I would recommend a Subaru to anyone looking for a vehicle.

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice! (y)

I also own a 2003 Pilot that continues to be rock-solid, which is also listed.

4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So the stereotype that Toyota and Honda cars are reliable continues to hold true.

Not that it's a bad thing though; I'd much rather have a "boring" car that's not going to need constant repairs. And in the case of the Prius, great gas mileage to help insulate against high gas prices, not to mention it's hatchback utility is really useful when I need to haul stuff around on rare occasions.

I think I might do a camping trip with mine at some point too after having read posts here of other owners doing it. I'm only 5' 4", so I should be able to sleep in the back of it. Charging electronics such as a phone and tablet should be easy with the prius. And that awesome mpg will reduce the need for hunting for a gas station.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Missed that article, good catch!
    I'd feel better about it if CR would drop their nutty 44 MPG data quote based on thier apparently faulty MPG test protocol. Fuelly shows about 47 MPG for GEN3 so that's what CR should quote.

Sergiospl likes this.
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who knew! And to think that there is not one Honda sold in the US that is built in Japan as of 2015! Way to go Honda of America and Honda of Canada. Now let's see how the FIT will do, as the 2015 is being built in Mexico.

#6 orenji, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ^^^
    CR is "Preaching to the choir" here! :)

Now that I drive a Prius for about 7 months, I wonder how CR manage to obtain these numbers;
    Toyota Prius Four
    32/city
    55/highway
    44/combined
    Most Fuel Efficient Cars - Consumer Reports

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does suburu go 200k relatively trouble free? i think not, great cars though they are.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Relatively trouble free? Sure. I have taken mine over 100,000 miles with just routine maintenance. On many websites, owners have gone 200K and 300k on them. The boxer motor is 35 plus years old and has changed very little. The motor is being used by Toyota in the Scion FRS. Their AWD system is bullet proof. Manual transmission last forever, automatics not so much, but will go the distance if fluids are changed on time.

The only complaint would be the major service costs can be expensive and are due every 30,000 miles.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm thinking 100,000+ is when c/r starts hearing more complaints than toy or honda, but there's nothing scientific about their survey's.

austingreen likes this.
  11. dipper

dipper Senior Member

From other Subby owners, they seem to worry about blown head gasket.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Then you are lucky. 2003 has the worst failure rate of the 5 speed automatic transmission.

You remember the letter from Honda with extending your transmission warranty?

Tracksyde likes this.
  13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I'm just a product of the times I grew up in.
    But in the 70's and 80's if you were looking at a small car or hatchback, Toyota and Honda (Volkswagen with The Rabbit) were way ahead of most American offerings in terms of long term quality and reliability.

I personally think the bar has been raised throughout the industry. I wouldn't hesitate to look at or consider an offering from almost any major manufacturer.

But I still remember some of the really poor offerings in the small car range in the 80's.

Even though I'm not convinced it's as necessary today, I still feel more comfortable looking at Honda's and Toyota's. That was a big reason I purchased my Honda Fit. I could of got a similar looking product for less but despite the claims of higher quality, flashbacks to "Ford Aspires" and early Hyundai products that were horrible, made spending extra money seem worth it to me.

E. Dennis and Trollbait like this.
  14. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It feels good to have 2 of the top 10, the Prius and my wife's Honda Accord 4-cylinder.

My wife's Accord has 104,000 trouble-free miles and my Prius has 94,000. My plans are to see 200,000 miles on both as long as they remain trouble-free.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    cwerdna and fuzzy1 like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    spinella pegs the prius life at 100,000 miles, and hummer at 300,000.:ROFLMAO:

cwerdna and bwilson4web like this.
  17. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Isn't he just a marketing guy? Why should any scientist care what he has to say?

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It is a mistake to infer reliability from absolute numbers.
    They should have normalized the denominator.

As in ... Per thousand cars of each model ...

Robert Holt and Trollbait like this.
  19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As opposed to Toyota where my 30k service cost a mere $539.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, toyota's 30,000 mile service recommendation, is minor, with air and cabin filter check/replace. should run around $100. -$150. you got the dealer special, which is of much greater value.