1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Consumer Reports' Highest-Rated Car-Ever

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by hill, Aug 28, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    NYC is a recognized charging problem. It looks like tesla will have it much improved by the launch of the model 3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/13/business/tesla-drivers-will-soon-find-more-charging-stations-in-manhattan.html

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was being somewhat facetious, but it would be a challenge. hopefully, the day will come when it won't be inconvenient no matter where you're driving. that's when real market penetration will begin.

i suppose it will coincide with lower cost vehicles and a more efficient grid, which is probably the best way.

austingreen likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe some don't like 25mpg cars, because they feel they're sponsoring al queda flight school type projects
    Maybe some don't like ever having to buy gas
    Maybe some don't like having to 'compromise' - ah la $40k car, when $80-$145k is just checking account money
    Maybe some don't like mini trips on anything other than a $200k Ducatti motorcycle
    Maybe some don't like plush trips defined as anything less than a 40' motor home
    or maybe the short answer is - people are different?
    ...... and yes - maybe there might not be a high power charger right at the front door of where you went, but as the map of high power publicly available DC chargers shows - (and the map gets further updates monthly - it includes ChAdeMO, as an adapter is available from Tesla) -

DCpower.JPG

each day, the proximity gets closer and closer to where folks go.
    even more cool - your $2 gas is more costly than the Super Charger network, because you MAY just buy a used Model S for as low as $48k (record low priced used sale on ebay) and have FREEEEE charging for life that's a lot less than $2/gallon. But as previously stated ... that may not appeal to everyone
    :)
    Not trying to diss anyone's choice - just pointing out that between free/PV home charging and halfway adequate nationwide quick charging (growing quicker & quicker) - the minor inconvenience of stopping for juice is a decent trade off. I had to go up to the Beverly Hilla area a few days ago (appx 80 mile trip). I'd normally pay the $5 or so for a quick charge - and plan my trip with the extra 15 minutes I'd need for the charge. The water L.A. water district's quick charger (just a half block off my route) was free! a nice little bonus that I wan't expecting ... especially because the free ones typically draw the dead beats more readily
    ;)

#143 hill, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel it necessary to respond to obvious falsehoods:rolleyes:

I haven't been to Manhattan actually. Is there a rule that you can't use any of the half dozen Tesla HPWCs or public chargers in Manhattan?
    Or, some reason it would be "impossible" to use any of the superchargers along your route?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a 4-5 hour drive, depending on traffic. like most people, i just want to get there. there's no reason to stop along the way. same for the city. i'm there for 2 days with my daughter, you hand the valet your fob when you arrive, and get it back when you leave.

Stevevee likes this.
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Give it a couple more years. As old age creeps up, the prostate enlarges, pushes against the bladder - suddenly a stop will become necessary . . . . making stops much less aversive.

bisco likes this.
  7. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel that the Tesla's driving characteristics may be lost on their user base;)

"Tesla, the number one choice of enlarged prostate sufferers everywhere"

The Germans could sell it easier. "YOU WILLLLLLLLLL LIKE IT!!!"

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i see a tesla in my near future.:whistle:

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    What? You travel with a woman? :ROFLMAO:

Nevertheless, no way I would do that length of time non-stop unless it was an emergency. 3 hours is our typical MAX time for a stop.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it's like high end communities ... very few youngsters can afford 'em right off the bat ... so by the time you can afford the good life - you need a walker ... and with a Tesla - there's a great place for it .... it goes in the Frunk ... right next to the spare box of depends. Don't forget to stop at the IHOP or Golden Corall, for your senior discount.

#150 hill, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even so, stopping for a 5 minute p, vs charging your car is a big diff.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  13. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Elon Musk response to CR was... it has been fixed.

Oh? How come their S and Rav4EV still going in for new redesigned motors after a "new redesigned motor" was swapped in?

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ah, but in the not too distant future - with the slower/prostate dribble, you better give yourself maybe an extra 7 minutes - for a 12 minute total . . . .

12 minutes on a supercharger will get you a good 60 miles. You don't have to necessarily do a complete fill
    ;)

bisco likes this.
  15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys realize tesla buyers skew younger than prius buyers don't you.

For the retiree, that owns a prius now, why not just add a 30kwh leaf (or gen II or etc) and keep the prius for trips to nyc, where you throw the keys to the vallet.

Lots of working people need to take breaks too, not just old folks. Millenials may get their work done in the tesls lounge if it has google fiber ;-) That may be the new way to travel. That autopilot will come in handy on those long trips.

Zythryn and PLSPUSH like this.
  16. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Such a fun discussion to follow. Here are some to the hot EV and PHEV topic controversies in PC over the years.
    1) EVs are never going to be viable as evidenced by the EV1 being crushed and the market vanishing.
    2) GM will never build the Volt given GMs history.
    3) EVs can never be taken on long trips.
    4) FCEVs will be superior to EVs due to the short refill time.
    5) Not finding EV superchargers as easily as gas stations will be the big EV hurdle.

(All of the above points are valid...till they are not any longer.)

What is our next EV controversy? EVs are bad for the economy since they put so many auto mechanics out of work?

3PriusMike, El Dobro, Zythryn and 2 others like this.
  17. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've found that being the in the car for 4 or 5 hours straight is a bit much. The longest stretch at a time of driving that I, or my wife, like to do is about 3 hours. We'll usually stop and change drivers at that point. Takes about 15 minutes to hit the bathroom, get a snack, and get back on our way. There just happens to be a Tesla SuperCharger station where we typically change drivers. Adding an extra 15 minutes to make it a total of 30 minutes to more or less fully charge up wouldn't upset us too greatly.

That said, we're not likely to get a Tesla anytime soon mostly because of current cost and availability, not due to perceived lack of charging infrastructure. I imagine that we'll get one in the next 3 to 5 years. And I'm pretty sure we'll do a road-trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles in it. Probably multiple times, knowing us.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you sound like the perfect candidate. who knows, in 3-5 years, it could be a different world.

19. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I posted above details of a 2 week trip I recently took. I didn't stay at cheap motels, on the water or in the historic district. Of the 5 places I stayed, I didn't see a single charging station or outlet I could hook up to without running a cord over a sidewalk to an outlet of unknown amperage fusing which creates unacceptable risk/liability for both me and the motel operator. I saw one charger near a visitor's center with a frustrated EV owner frantically calling on his cell phone trying to get hooked up. After, I looked at a map from Tesla of available chargers and found no chargers that would have been convenient to my route. So your assertion that "every hotel has a charger" is at best doubtful in the SE area.

I do own a Prius. I would have preferred to use it. My wife instead choose her $40k Avalon. Sometimes you get outvoted. No matter, with either car you can pull off at darn near every exit other on a major highway and load 300-400 miles of fuel in the time it takes you both to visit the facilities. You aren't dependent on a charger being the only charger in 200 miles, it being vacant, or the rate of fueling. If one gas station is busy, another is bound to be only 100 yards away.

I don't know where that $30k savings in fuel figure comes from. My first 26k Prius miles cost $1,850 in gas. It would take me around 400k miles to be at $30k in fuel costs at that rate. Maybe 175k miles on the Avalon. By the time I had charged enough to travel those miles (Assuming all the charging was done at free chargers and we know that is unrealistic. Home electricity costs as do chargers. And the nearest supercharger is at least 60 miles away from my house.) the difference in savings between the $40k car and a Tesla would have earned probably another $10k even at 2% by the time you got to those miles.

I'll agree that an EV could be quiet and fun. But the economics and convenience just aren't there for me yet.

PLSPUSH, orenji and Stevevee like this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    funny how less than 1/2 year later it is not on their recommended list. Gives a lot of credibility to their scoring system.

Stevevee likes this.