1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports initial test of Model S in winter chills

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cycledrum, Feb 15, 2013.

1. spinnaker87

spinnaker87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as I suspected no data.. just a lot of huffing and puffing.. and I'm still waiting on the stats from the Leaf and Tesla websites. and I bet I'll still be waiting....

what is battery degradation by year?
    what is range loss by temp and hour after unplugging?

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "With 240 miles on the car's range indicator, I figured there would be more than ample juice to cover the distance, plus some nighttime errands, the morning drop-off at school, and then my 75-mile return trip to the track."

No, no, no. If one is someplace where one can charge (which is pretty much anywhere), one charges. Don't run it like it is a gas car. Try to keep those batteries as near optimum charge as one can.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    In general I agree with you.
    However, in this case he is sort of testing it for CR and, not messing up the tracking CR is most likely doing to monitor the energy used to charge the car.

As a general rule, if an EV owner is somewhere he can plug in, he should.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, those are example numbers. I agree about battery life, cost, etc...

I do know Tesla model S buyers are given the option to prepay for replacement batteries - $8k, $10k, $12k for the 40, 60, 85kwh packs. That's expensive.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You brought up the subject and your asking us to provide the data? Time for you to dig and post up the links to accurate data. Get to it.

Google

6. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In which case, he should SPECIFICALLY mention that this was intended as endurance testing, and that real users should follow the paradigm I stated.

austingreen likes this.
  7. spinnaker87

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you're buying a battery with wheels on it.. the manufacturer should provide the stats. I'm sure they have them.. but for internal use only:)

agreed that's the paradigm. evs are commuter cars.. plug them in every night.

it's obviously not a road trip

8. Crazedcommuter

Crazedcommuter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was driving next to a new Model S 2 days ago in NOVA. Great looking car.

wjtracy likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting! I hate to think of Virginia annual property taxes on a car like that, at least where I live. Do you think it had VA plates?

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Crazedcommuter

Crazedcommuter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I"m not sure if it had Va plates. I was too busy ogling the design and stunned to see one in rush hour traffic. It was headed west on Rt 7 toward Round Hill.

12. spinnaker87

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    batter performance info needs to be provided to the consumer on the sticker upfront. you're essentially buying a battery (as it's only source of power) so battery performance is more important than 0-60 in 4 secs.

my guess is Tesla and Leaf have this info (or at least projections) but are not going to release it for obvious reasons.

until that happens you're going to have continuing confusion on the part of consumers (that's evident from reading the Tesla forums) and there is no one to blame except for the EV car makers.

13. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean a sticker like this ?

[​IMG]

14. spinnaker87

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    no a sticker like this:

Range loss:
    ie.
    7 hours 55% at 30 F 30% at 70 F
    8 hours 60% at 30 F 35% at 70 F etc... etc..

Range est by year:
    ie year one.
    est range 240.
    year 2 range 210
    year 3 range 190 etc.. etc.

the sticker needs to address

1. est range by year.
    2. range loss by hour and temp when unplugged. (especially range loss in cold weather which the NYT reporter commented on)

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What methodology would you propose to arrive at these estimates? The battery manufacturer's, the vehicle manufacter's, the EPA's, the DOE's ?

Tesla warranties the battery for 8 years, 100,000 miles.

16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Those numbers are highly variable based on how the car is driven and charged.
    There are a number of studies on this, however, it is a new way of designing a car and with little history, we mainly have to go by computer models.
    Those have led Tesla to state they expect battery degradation of no more than 30% over 8 years (this is from memory, I will see if I can track that down for you).
    They can't give you more specific info, a it varies so much. Just as no manufacturer can tell you exactly how long the engine will last. They can give you a good guess, but no gaurantees.

I do agree with you that consumer education is of critical importance. The last thing I want is for people to try using a vehicle that won't work for them.

17. spinnaker87

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    as i understand it right now vehicle manufacturers are submitting epa estimates. ie why C max claims 47 mpg but in the real world it's 39 mpg... similar to the Hyundai claims of higher mpg.

ideally it's done by the EPA.. or independent testing lab to standardize test results so consumers can compare apples to apples.

important point is that this is a battery.. and a battery degrades overtime. so this info needs to be provided.. especially loss of range when unplugged in cold vs hot weather. I don't think many buyers even think about that.

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spinnaker, I have a Model S and I don't need those numbers. Tesla has said they expect the car to have about 70-80% of the rated capacity after 8 years. But that will vary dramatically depending upon many factors and doing a "year by year" would just increase customer frustration and anxiety if they lost 10% of range in 2 years instead of 5% in 2 years like the web site said. If you run the battery low and charge to max frequently, you'll have increased deterioration, if you plug in and mostly just do short trips and never max charge or drive to depleted it will exceed the expectations. We all know that...anyone who's done a little research will know that.

Likewise the capcity loss at cold temps will vary. Broder lied about how much range he lost...or he was looking at 2 different displays and mixed them up or something. The people recreating Broder's trip (some) left their cars unplugged overnight like Broder did and saw nothing close to the range loss he experienced. But we all know it is better to leave it plugged in over night and to plan a trip with that in mind. No conventional car maker publishes data on what your fuel economy will drop to when it is 20F outside and you run the climate control at 75F or anything like that. Tesla has no more responsibility to do that than does a gas car maker. And, to that point, the projected range actually does just that, it tells you how far you can go continuing under the exact conditions you have for which ever range you take the average of (instant, 5, 15, or 30 miles). Gas cars, including Prius, don't even do that very well.

I'm not sure where the attitude of "It must do as much as and more than any gas car in the way of customer information." it doesn't, but it does require a little basic intelligence and foresight and planning. Something Broder didn't do.

cycledrum likes this.
  19. spinnaker87

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i disagree.. consumers should be informed. I also disagree that the NYT reporter lied. sorry not buying the koolaid.

provide the info on the sticker. it won't be perfect but neither is mpg.

important point is that the consumer has some idea of

1. battery degradation by year.
    2. range loss by temp and hour when unplugged.

the consumer can then make a more informed decision if it's right for them.

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK thanks Crazed next time you see him... I did not see what car you are driving in your profile, but I assume you are aware of the the great WV tax credits for PiP etc...maybe he was headed back to WV.

Crazedcommuter likes this.