1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports Makes A Convincing Argument For Brake Override Systems in All Cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Mar 25, 2010.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nico, try testing for the function in your 2009 Prius. Find a large empty parking lot for your test. Run the car up past 5 mph (10 or 15 mph are good speeds to do the test at). As the car is accelerating past 10 mph, apply the brakes with your left foot firmly (like you would when you are wanting stop the car; you do not have to stomp on the brakes if the override is working properly). If the override function is working properly, the car will stop. You have to keep the brake pressure applied until the car comes to a complete stop. Also, the engine may rev when the override cuts in (which is unique to the Prius; in other non-hybrid cars (Volvo and BMW) that I own, the throttle cuts out and the engine goes to idle). As long as the brakes stop the car (regardless of the engine reving) after triggering the override, the function is working.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Brake Overide Systems are the obvious next evolution in safety. It's especially a no brainer for Toyota. Offering them in future models will show a renewed/continued commitment to safety and help ease any concerns people might have given the bad publicity Toyota has faced.

I don't see a downside to this at all, except it's implementation just means that much more ultimate cost to consumers BUT if it saves one life, one time, it's worth it.

Brake Overide Systems....get used to it, I think they will quickly become the accepted standard.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Audi's SUA cases prompted the installation of the Shift-Lock feature. Maybe Toyota's SUA cases will prompt Brake Logic Override to be installed (brake logic override, not brake override as one member pointed out, it isn't the brakes that are being overridden!)

4. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With all the CPUs in a modern car. The cost for implementation should be minimal if they start at the design stage of new car. (Other then a license fee for the technology.)

5. hitechboy

hitechboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Brake Logic Override" are standard feature on nearly all the cars make today except some GM and some Toyota. I guess it more due to the Audi cases then with Toyota.

6. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and many Honda.

Then, when SUA continues, people will blame the brake logic over-ride programming instead of admit they stood on the wrong pedal.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Until the manufacturers implement a robust data logging function (some already have that). Then operator error will be there for all to see (dismiss) and the cases that are truly due to mechanical, electronic or software root cause(s) will be able to be concentrated on and a fix can be developed in a timely manner.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another source portrayed this as being on hardly any cars except German brands and Chrysler.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Might as well add a 'pedal to the metal' kill switch too. At 100 lbs of force, it cuts the engine, latched off, thus protecting us from idiots who mash the wrong pedal thinking it is the brake. . . .

Bob Wilson

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I know from personal experience that the brake-throttle override is on Volvos. Maybe German, Swedish brands in addition to Chrysler?

11. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It seems the questions about EMI being a factor in the sudden acceleration events continue to occur - the latest I saw was a map of high voltage power transmission lines overlaid with locations of sudden acceleration accidents (there was a lose correlation between sudden acceleration and power lines). Now for the question: If EMI was a factor in sudden acceleration, would pressing the Power button for 3 seconds still shut down the car if the electronics had been zapped by EMI?

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The brake override, shifting, Park, and Power are all controlled by electronics. If you manage to mess up the electronics without having it shut off or go into fail safe, anything can happen, including not being able to power off.

All safety systems will fail with enough accumulated faults. For example, with an old mechanical car, a broken carburetor return spring combined with a failed key switch will create a runaway engine that can't be stopped from inside the car. Most disasters occur after a chain of bad events.

Tom

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hmmm. Sounds like a rather compelling argument for a 'master' (failsafe) Power switch.

14. Robert Hopps

Robert Hopps New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Confused, I recently bought a 2010 prius in march of 2010. Does my car have brake override? If not is it possible to get it?

15. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why don't you test your car in a large empty parking lot to see if you have the function? Then you will know for sure.

See post #21 above for how to do the test.