1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports on the Jetta Hybrid & Prius Plug-in

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by 100 mph, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I also pretty much agree with that review. However, if you ignore price, I would not rate it lower than the regular Prius. If you paid full price, I can understand some demerits for value for your money.

The handling seems fine to me, but then I'm not driving a slalom course. I've found the PIP to be just slightly less precise than my prior 5, presumably due to the normal tires and higher steering ratio. Handling might also be just a tad more sluggish, presumably due to increased weight.

I'm surprised they seem to like the voice commands system.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    CR runs their tests outside in Connecticut. They don't test on wet roads, but there is still a wide range temperature and climate differences during the year that make comparing their results for different models problematic.
    Handling and braking are important safety issues.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had become skeptical of Consumer Reports over the years when I noticed their 'score' was so poorly documented. The CR formula or weighting in practice does not appear to have any mileage factor. But the 'Prius c' review led to looking at a statistically significant set of their reviews and what stood out was how non-mileage factors defined their 'score:'
    [​IMG]
    When you have a handful of fuel efficient vehicles have such wide variations in score, it becomes fairly easy to reverse engineer the CR factors. We find creature comforts and acceleration are primary factors with the exception of unusually poor braking.

CR's mileage numbers are much worse than the EPA numbers. They suggest maximum accelerations of cold-soaked, test vehicles, with every accessory turned on. In contrast, their highway numbers are credible but get little print.

I have no problem with the CR individual metrics but the CR 'score', something whose quantitative factors are unknown, remains a prominent weakness.

Bob Wilson

SAronian and bisco like this.
  4. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. The EPA also uses a special high energy gasoline that is not available to consumers.

2. The EPA does not test cars on a real track. The EPA instead tests the cars inside a lab, placed on a dynamometer - a giant treadmill for cars. The cars are held stationary while the wheels spin on large rollers.

These are big reasons EPA Mileage is usually not met in the real world by the average driver. They clearly do not reflect real world driving.

5. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interestingly, Consumer Reports rates the Volkswagen Passat TDI's reliability as above average.

For a European car that is astounding since European cars such as Mercedes Benz are often below average in reliability to Consumer Reports' eyes.

But of course, the Passat is built in the USA.

6. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Overall, it is a fair comparison by Consumer Reports.

Their driving test is done on a real track, unlike the EPA's use of a dynanometer.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip handling and brakes are more than adequate, unless you're in lemans. and yes, i understand most people drive like they are and it's acceptable in our society.

8. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EPA runs fuel economy tests on only 10 to 15% of the 200+ vehicle models available every year .

They review the test data provided by the manufacturer and release the manufacturer's data most of the time.

How Vehicles Are Tested

9. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is because majority of the car buyers care about these things, hybrid buyers care about efficiency and hybrid sales is less than 5%.
    Car mags need to cater to those who give them the highest sales volume.
    Until there is a mag for hybrids only, but don't count on it for a long long time for the reason above.

Zythryn and F8L like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but cr didn't used to be a car magazine. and comparing cars like this is just silly. they each have their plusses and minuses. it's more about what fits your style and commute.

11. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    CR always show 0-60 numbers and even 1/4 mile data in the 80's. They are usually slower than C&D, because CR do not dump the clutch or load up the torque convertor.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The article says "The Jetta Hybrid [JH] may not be the most efficient gas/electric car we’ve tested"

No "may" about it. The JH does not even come close to the Prius. I hate spin, and this article is full of it.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The important thing about the EPA test is that it is repeatable, and variables are controlled so that different model efficiencies can be compared.

A car tested by CR in the summer can not have its results compared to one tested in the fall, because the testing is done outside. The temperature difference alone can mean a measurable difference in what a model can achieve. Then we can fuel economy affects because of the wind. The testers' throttle inputs aren't monitored to ensure that it is the same for each test run.

Then CR runs some of the test on local roads, so traffic can be a factor. EPA uses a uniform blend of ethanol free, 93 octane gasoline for testing. CR goes to the local station where the ethanol content can vary. Depending on the underground tank condition , and the stations practices, it can contain water or other contaminates.

CR testing may be real world, but it is viritually useless for comparing fuel economy between models.

14. BJ_EVfan

BJ_EVfan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Since we all know what the article says just by the synopsis (Prius Plug in under-delivers and Jetta Hybrid is inspiring and uplifting and heavenly), I'll just drop what little I know on the subject.

Prius Plug-in is most certainly a less sporty drive, it isn't as "fun" to drive as a Jetta. I'll agree to that 100%.

HOWEVER, it is my understanding having chat with real world Jetta Hybrid drivers that they are averaging many MPG less than the car is rated for, since the car has a performance gasoline engine, which is what causes it to be a sporty ride.

The Jetta Hybrid is good, but it barely reaches 40mpg on a good day.

Prius Plug-in, while less sporty, does have true electric range. 12 miles isn't a lot, but its far better than the Jetta Hybrid for fuel economy. I can't believe they even attempt to compare the two in fuel economy.

I think they're both great cars, but the Prius Plug-in offers tremendous fuel economy and electric range. Two completely different types of cars.

To the Jetta's credit, however, all the Jetta Hybrid owners I've read report their experiences online, they are getting full tank consumption in the upper 30's and low 40's, which is better than any gasoline-only car that only gets 40mpg during peak highway performance not including beginning to end tank calculation.

15. Maroon

Maroon Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The steering in the Prius is my biggest gripe. Its numb and deviod of any feedback and what makes it worse is that the Prius handles pretty well. I would definitely take a look at a Jetta hybrid, but no way in hades would I buy the first model year of the thing!

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might check with local speed shops as I know they carry or know who carries specialty fuels. The last time I checked, the price per gallon was pretty steep.

Before the dynamometer, the vendor has to conduct 'roll down' tests to get the drag coefficients for a second-order equation:

drag (lbs) = A + B*v + C*(v**2)​
    A - lbs constant drag​
    B - lbs drag as a linear function​
    C - lbs drag as a square of the velocity​

These are used to calculate the dynamometer settings. Then the test car is run through a series of fixed, profile tests to determine the fuel burn and calcualte the CAFE standard MPG. Although not easy to find, it is publicly available and can be downloaded: Test Car List Data Files | Cars and Light Trucks | US EPA

Now if we combine the vehicle power overhead and specific fuel consumption tank-to-wheel, we can actually plot the peak efficiency speed . . . the speed at which the car will travel the maximum distance on a given quantity of fuel:
    [​IMG]
    This chart shows the vehicle efficiency, MPG, as a function of speed. Due to the electrical overhead, the peak is around 18 mph.

As for individual drivers, those who don't study such things, actual mileage follows a Bell curve. The web site Fuelly - Track and Compare Your MPG does an excellent job of showing those distributions. One of my favorite math jokes, like the residents of Lake Woebegone,". . . all the children are above average . . .", the actual distribution will be about a mean.

When I first joined GreenHybrid.com nearly eight years ago, I contacted owners on both ends of the distribution curve. I wanted to find out what led to their numbers. Those getting poorest mileage faced steep hills, cold weather, and requirements to 'be somewhere right now.' In contrast, those with excellent mileage had relatively flat terrain, warmer climates, and a life free from a hard schedule.

Bob Wilson

17. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love how CR dumbs everything down. There is a huge differences between Jetta TDI and hybrid, like MPG differentials city vs hwy. Duh!

I stopped reading CR long time ago as I find their reviews useless.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "At the mid-$20,000 price of a regular Prius, we’re willing to put up with the car’s fairly basic interior. But when you hit the $40,000 tag of our Plug-in Advanced, the interior quality is unbecoming. On the plus side, interior components are well assembled and most panels fit together nicely.

Drivers will find ample room. A power seat is welcome, but the steering wheel didn’t telescope far enough out for most people. The rear seat is very accommodating."

Are you listening Toyota during your design of the 4th Generation Prius?????

btw, I've phoned this in to corporate maybe 15 times in last 4 years. This issue is affecting my braking on 2011 Prius. I wonder who else has taken the time since many don't think this is an issue and perhaps think CR is mistaken.

Apparently a few people don't think CR reviews are useless, Jacek.

19. BJ_EVfan

BJ_EVfan Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ^So you have phoned Toyota 15 times in the past year to tell them that your steering wheel doesn't telescope far out enough and that causes braking problems?

Sorry for saying I can't connect the dots and understand that point. But, I think there is validity of a $40,000 car needing more "luxurious" materials; however, most Prius owners are aware of the cost of battery technology and understand they are paying for batteries rather than Lexus trim items. There probably isn't a huge market for $55,000 Lexus trim hybrids, so I think it'd be better for Toyota to probably duplicate the Prius line and add $10-15k for an upgraded experience in the Lexus lineup for people with more money to burn, and manufacture them on a limited basis since the demand simply isn't there for the upscale price.

It is more important for them not to make the Prius more expensive and to bring the cost of the electric technology down, the Prius goal is to become a mass marketed car family that becomes Toyota's number one model, not a luxury vehicle that is out of most people's price points. That's where the Lexus brand could come into play for the few people who have the cash to buy an upgraded, $50,000 Prius.

Sergiospl likes this.
  20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    CR reports the data. That is more than can be said for the competing rags.