1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports Plug-in Review

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by CharlesH, Jul 5, 2013.

1. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The August 2013 edition of Consumer Reports has a review of the PiP. Seemed to be basically neutral: no big praises, no bashing. They listed "No true electric-only propulsion" as a "Low". Given the the PiP is not sold as an EV, but rather an enhanced hybrid, I don't quite see how this is exactly fair.

They talk about hair-trigger activation of the ICE when accelerating in EV mode, which is certainly not the experience of folks here. My non-techie wife, whose mantra is "just drive it" like an ordinary car, seems to not have any problems with running errands in pure EV, taking no particular measures to keep the ICE from running.

The biggest thing about the review that I don't understand is their mileage figures. How do you get only 34 (!) city, 52 highway , 43 combined in hybrid mode? The only way I can get 34 mpg if I do a short trip of a mile or two with a depleted battery, so the warmup kills the mileage. Sometimes I think their tests must use NASCAR wannabees as drivers. And they repeat the claim that the HV mileage in the PiP is lower than that of the standard Prius, due to the added battery weight. An added 100 pounds reduces the mileage by 1 mpg? And this ignores the increased regeneration efficiency that comes with a bigger battery and with the different chemistry that can take a charge faster. Does anyone here actually see observed mpg less than the EPA numbers??

Merkey likes this.
  2. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope. Gotta' wonder about the bias of the tester/writer.

dbcassidy likes this.
  3. Consumer Reports sure loves to find something about any Prius to complain about o_O

4. Prius 2007 user

Prius 2007 user Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I too am wondering about those reports. I live in France and am driving a 2007 Prius (watching this forum because I might be tempted by a PIP, my apologies if these comments are found to be somewhat off topic).

Regularly I read reports in the automotive press about Priuses and other hybrids and the consumption figures they quote always are significantly worse than those I regularly achieve. Usually I do 50-51 MPG in the summer and 47-48 in the winter. This would seem normal as the ICE has to kick in more often in the winter in order to maintain a suitable catalytic converter temperature, nothing wrong with that.

As for my driving habits, I'm doing exactly what Toyota advises: "Just drive it". Otherwise I'm just using common sense : Keep to speed limits (or you'll get your license endorsed and sooner than you know you'll kiss it goodbye), and avoid "hectic" driving, just what I do when driving any other car. I'm driving like most guys around me, keeping up with the flow, just trying to be sensible without attempting to break any record.

The press reports often come up with figures like low forties, high thirties MPG. Like you, I'm wondering what sort of drivers are conducting those tests. On technical matters too they seem to "lose the plot" when it comes to explaining how the system works: They would refer to a "continuously variable transmission" when there is nothing even vaguely like a gearbox in a Prius, obviously confusing it with the system Honda use in their hybrids, which is notoriously less efficient.

Another misconception found in press reports is that weight significantly affect mileage. True for an ordinary car, not true here. Any extra energy you need to put your load in motion you'll recoup when slowing down. The only difference I notice when driving my Prius fully loaded is that charge/discharge cycles are shorter, MPG remaining roughly the same. This of course doesn't hold true if you are a hectic sort of driver.

As for me, all I have to say is that anybody trying to sell me a car that's not a hybrid (or full electric when technology comes to maturity) is wasting his time. My advice is: Spread the good news, tell everybody how wrong the press are, tell them to clear their minds and test drive a hybrid applying the KISS principle (Keep It Simple and Stupid) and watch how soon this gas pump stops.

3PriusMike likes this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is simple really, if you are a hot shoe car reviewer you accelerate at full throttle all the time, so you can whine about a CVT 'drone' that no one else hears. When you DO get to a corner, (at full throttle) you slam on the brakes and then go back to full throttle, until the next corner.

Driven in this 'car reviewer' mode, no regen will ever take place so the car will seem more anemic than it does to actual owners and mileage will plummet. This makes for a good bashing and you go on to the next car. In which you also get horrible gas mileage but like as not you are now driving just like actual owners, so no one complains.

I wish I was being sarcastic.

SJ PiP, Merkey and markabele like this.
  7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Except that the Prius (plug-in or standard) does not have a CVT (or any other kind of transmission). With the motor-generators and the power split device and lots of software, one simulates the behavior of a CVT, but mechanically, there isn't one.

8. What sickens me so much about these reviews, is they get a brand new car (not broken in), then they drive it like a race car and slam on the brakes.... I have no idea what that does to the remaining life of the prius but that kind of early aggressive driving can't be beneficial for it. (I watched the vid where they did that with a prius c and the brakes screeched, makes me wince, poor car...) :(

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what happens to those cars...

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  11. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    CR reviewers are happiest when reviewing new BMW's it seems. When they mash the pedal they want to get thrown back in their seats, they want to corner at 3G's etc. They get in the PIP- they drive it like a 5/7 series and when it fails to perform they knock it. And pushing it to perform like a 5/7 series makes it get 37mpg....

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how have i managed to drive 6,000 ev miles without the ice coming on? i must be dreaming...

usbseawolf2000 and F8L like this.
  13. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They drove the car around with flat tires. ;)

iPad ? HD

Biking Maniac likes this.
  14. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If you read my prior posts, I'm pretty into hyper-miling my PiP but I'm not your usual driver. I get tailgated and cut off by people in Priuses all the time. Many drive just as ridiculously as the regular ICE drivers - jack rabbit starts, slamming on the brakes and accelerating repeatedly, merging onto the highway at very low speeds and then jamming on the gas after they've merged ... all with no obvious sign that they're aware of how much gas they're wasting. I imagine those are the people who complain that their Prius only gets 40 MPG or worse. Unfortunately, I believe this is how most people drive and Consumer Reports' largest demographic.

15. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are dreaming...unless you disabled the 124 mile mandatory ICE operation.

Mike

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's the 4,000 miles of hv driving in between that takes care of that, although, it did happen recently and took me by surprise!:eek:

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, you just need the fuel filler countdown. ;)

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, still waiting for that one.:cool:

19. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Rather than nit-picking the efficiency figures, I focused on this conclusion:

"Overall, the token increase in efficiency isn't worth the higher price. If you want a car that truly benefits from plug-in capability, consider a Chevrolet Volt or Ford C-Max Energi, which are nicer cars that let you drive gas-free for longer distances."

Nicer? I don't think so.

But they're bang on about the distance. I enjoy the plug-in feature but spend entirely too much time thinking about EV range. If the next gen PIP has substantially more range, that'll be the car this should have been to justify the price.

Of course, EV range has everything to do with the distance normally driven, so Y(E)MMV.

And I'm glad I got the PIP. Along with other possessions I enjoy but still think I paid too much for.

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They were bang on about that too. :) The Prius feels cheap in comparison. The panel fitment is better on the Prius compared to the Volt though.