1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports review of 2016 Prius Three

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, May 25, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would feel better about the Consumer Reports testing if it was defined well enough either of us could replicate their protocol and get similar results.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn, ETP and Coast Cruiser like this.
  2. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Consumer reports MPG figures = comical. I lost faith a long time ago basing my decision making, whether it be a car or washing machine. Best adverts / reviews are generally the real public who use them.

PriUncut likes this.
  3. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yup, I too gave up on Consumer Reports years ago. When everything I bought that was Top Rated... broke!

Never buy a Kenmore Washer, Dryer, Refrigerator... anything from them again! All Top Rated. All crap.

Frederickdawg likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Coast Cruiser likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Volvo S80 or Holden Commodore. It's bigger than the Mondeo or Passat (next size class up).

3rd Gen Prius vs. Avalon

Length: 4460mm vs. 4965mm
    Width: 1745mm vs. 1835mm
    Height: 1480mm vs. 1460mm
    Wheelbase: 2700mm vs. 2820mm

Front legroom: 1080mm vs. 1070mm
    Rear legroom: 914mm vs. 995mm
    Rear shoulderoom: 1349mm vs. 1447mm (so it can definitely fit 3 adults across in the back)

Weight: 1380kg vs. 1630kg (base Prius vs. base Avalon hybrid).

Mpg: 4.7L/100km combined vs. 5.9L/100km combined.

Trunk space: 445L vs. 396L

Well we know hatchback/SUV/wagon numbers from Toyota can't be trusted but the best guess is

Trunk space: 445L vs. 396L for 3rd Gen Prius vs. Avalon (so that you have an idea based on your car). ~400L is ok for a saloon (a bit small for a large saloon. The regular Avalon boasts 453L which is closer to average sized for a car of that size.

ETP and pakitt like this.
  6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They drive like my daughter. She has the fan on high and the AC full cold all the time. Also drives with a heavy foot.

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It seems then that the Prius has quite a big trunk :) in a more compact format...

ETP likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you!!
    This is a start and I can reverse engineer a 'Top Gear' version:

Our tests.
    These tests are stop-and-go city-driving simulations on our test track, which has a total of 18 stops and 4 minutes of total idle time. Top speed is 40 mph. Two different testers each drive three runs for a total of six 2-minute, 40-second trials on every test vehicle. Total test time is approximately 16 minutes.

Now we can begin to understand:
    • 2.66 minutes * 6 cycles = 15.96 minutes, close enough to 16 minutes
    • 18 stops / 6 cycles = 3 stops per cycle
    • 4 minutes_idle / 6 cycles = 0.66 minutes idle
    • 2.66 minutes - 0.66 minutes idle = 2 minutes running
    • 2 minutes / 3 start_stop = 0.66 minutes per start_stop
    • Prepare car:
      • cold soak over night
      • full gas tank
      • head lights on, normal
      • maximum A/C or defrost
      • tires deflated to door jam pressure
    • Expected Consumer Reports City Test Cycle:
      • standing start
      • max accelerate to 40 mph and start timer
      • after 0.66 minutes (40 seconds)
      • max stop
      • max stop
      • max stop
      • idle 0.66 minutes (40 seconds and turn around)
      • repeat 6 times
    Ok, I have enough information to replicate a Consumer Reports, City test case with our Gen-3, a 2010 Prius. I'm still up in the air about headlights and maximum A/C. Given this is a 'Top Gear' style test, I will turn them on. I will have a high-resolution, recording OBD recorder to share the data.

FYI, it will take me a couple of days to get around to this testing. Today, I am test driving a BMW i3-REx from Charlotte NC to Huntsville AL. This will be my first drive in a BMW i3, ever, ~8 hours not counting fuel and charging stops.

Hummmm, I could use the same protocol with the BMW i3-REx ... <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

#28 bwilson4web, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I think that most reviews online and on magazines are flawed in any case. They never specify *exactly* what they do, when, at which temperature, and so on. From a scientific "experimental repeatable" approach, a nightmare.
    They are never really objective.

As much as they are "flawed", I find the EU and EPA (in particular) ratings the best indication how a car will consume *RELATIVELY* to others that are following the same exactly specified test.
    What I mean is, if the Gen3 and the Gen4 have been tested on the EU cycle in the same way, then I know that if the Gen3 does 4L/100km on average and the Gen4 does 3L/100km on average, I know that Gen4 *on average* will consume 25% less than Gen3.
    If I read that e.g. model X consumes on average 3.5L/100km I still know that on *average* the Prius will be better.
    PS: the EU tests for plug-in hybrids are essentially useless...

So for me all these tests online are quite useless (especially for fuel consumption), are often made by biased testers in a non scientific way. Last weekend I was with this friend of mine who works in a magazine about fleet cars, and he tests cars continuously. His way of determining whether the Prius he had for the weekend was good or not, did raise an eyebrow in me, seating in the back - he never managed to keep a constant speed on the highway, braking too hard and accelerating too fast, and he said "I like to drive fast" - how can one expect a positive review from a driver like that? in the end he did like 5.7L/100km (4 of us, A/C blasting at 19C with 24C out) and he said "I don't see how this car can achieve 3.3L/100km as the EU tests say, which are crap in any case, and this car is boring for USA market only". I kept a lot of thoughts to myself. If he were testing a Porsche that was not fast, I couldn't agree more. But he was testing the epitome of fuel efficiency and driving it like it was made to race and expecting wonders.
    He could also not believe that the Gen4 had less HP than the Gen3 ("how can it be - it is impossible!") and he complained that a car like the Prius and its size should "at least have 150HP"... Yes, he is German... :)
    BTW: essentially he was telling me without even realising it, that the car I ordered (Gen4) and the one I owned (Gen3) was crap - I spare you his comments about the styling of Gen4.

It's like, back in the day, ADAC (the German automobile club; BTW also involved in a scandal a couple of years back because they falsified results of users' reports to make sure that VW cars would be number one and could then get the ADAC best car award for the year - that helps selling cars....) complaining (and putting into the "negatives" section) in the Gen3 test, that the fuel port is on the left hand side instead of the right hand side (like all German cars have). It makes you think what type of authority and sense they have put into writing everything else...
    And I add, I am THANKFUL the fuel port is so, because when I go to the gas station, I can fuel on the other side of the pump, where there is nobody! :D

I prefer to use references from real drivers reports in here, or even better from Spritmonitor or Fuelly where one can get *averages* of fuel consumption for a specific model or type of car, flattening out any driver specific behaviour or lifestyle.
    Spritmonitor (also available in english!) goes one step further and can give even further insights on what are the cars with the lowest *real* CO2 value (The most CO2 efficient cars - Spritmonitor.de).

The only thing I know now, is that the Gen4 will give me on average 25% better fuel consumption compared to my Gen3, with possibly more room for improvement as EU tests don't cover all the cases I drive usually. Both Prius are not built to save fuel on that test, so I know the reference is ok.

10. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The article says "October 2005" at the bottom of the page. I wonder if CR has changed their testing since then?

City driving simulation: "18 stops and 4 minutes of total idle time."

In the real world, I'm stopped for at least 4 minutes (or more), at each red light. Especially during the morning and evening heavy traffic times. This makes me appreciate my Prius Hybrid so much more... knowing that the engine cuts off.

cwerdna likes this.
  11. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    4 minutes stop at a traffic light????

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The slang term is 'malfunction junction' if you plan to drive in the USA. Fixed now, at one time Boston MA had 18 lanes merge into 2. But Boston traffic was (is) special.
    • You always heard horns going off
    • Cars were pre-dented
    Bob Wilson

13. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Consumer Reports also has reliability ratings based on subscriber surveys. Kenmore is usually rated well in reliability. In washing machines, they are rated near the top in reliability except for high-efficiency washers, but the difference isn't so great for the latter. I've had a Kenmore refrigerator with ice maker for fourteen years and it hasn't had a single problem and it has saved me thousands of dollars in electricity bills. In fact, Consumer Reports also ranks Kenmore refrigerators at the top in reliability.

I believe their reliability rankings for the cars are the best you can find.

14. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In my case, it was that infamous "HE" washer with a known issue in the bad electronics controller board. They never could fix it. :cry: Wanted an arm and a leg... it was ridiculous! CR Top Rated.

The Kenmore refrigerator just gave out after only 8 years. :cry: Also the CR Top Rated (high end) model.

Oh well, that's all in the long forgotten past. :mad:

#34 PriUncut, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  15. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With the Kenmore brand, I guess it's hard to say because many different manufacturers make it.

But then even the mighty GE these days outsource their appliances to various different companies. It's becoming really hard to rely on brands. However, Japanese brands are still doing well in reliability and Korean brands seem to be doing OK, too.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a reasonably sized trunk. I liked our old Camry's trunk which was the size of the non-hybrid Avalon (16 cu ft./445L) - now that was a large trunk even though it's a midsize (one size smaller than the Avalon).

The new Prius without a spare tire will have a really spacious trunk. The Gen 4 with a spare tire looks about the same as Gen 3 (even though it's lowered by a few cm because of the removal of the underfloor bin).

4 mins?!? Traffic lights are usually 30 seconds with longer ones at 40 or 50 seconds. (e.g. those with advanced left turns or busier intersections)

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Try driving in the Bay Area on busy streets during rush hour, or sometimes not even rush hour. Good luck w/waiting only 30 to 50 seconds.

Tideland Prius and Coast Cruiser like this.
  18. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, 4 minutes... Ok, at least 3:20. :eek: It depends on the time of day. And what area of the city. And if the intersection has separate dedicated left-turn lanes. That really slows things down.

So let me apologize for exaggerating somewhat. It's not every red light. Tar & feather me! :ROFLMAO:

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see now that he meant to get through an intersection. I have driven in Bay area traffic but I don't think it was as bad as you guys describe (I got lucky??). I parked near the Fisherman's Wharf (Pier 39??). Yeah, that took a while to get out lol.

20. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was in Silicon Valley a few times and yes, some traffic lights there were extremely long. Like 1+ mins at least. If you are on a side road and what to get on a bigger one, that usually happens... and what I had noticed back then is that traffic lights are hardly if ever, synchronised in a "green wave" - they seemed to switch randomly and essentially blocking traffic. Most people seemed to rush to the next one (forget about pollution, fuel consumption, etc) just to see if they could avoid *yet* another red light....
    No traffic light there also seemed to be "intelligent" - that is, regulating itself based on the amount of traffic. I have often seen 1-2 cars waiting *forever* at an intersection because the switching was based on heavy traffi

bwilson4web likes this.