1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports survey of 1700 random Americans finds 39% are considering a hybrid for next car

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Consumer Reports shares preliminary "green-car" survey findings at GridWeek conference

2. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I imagine it depends on what gas prices are the month they are actually shopping! Americans, at least, have very short term memories when it comes to gas and politics!:rolleyes:

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, but if you can fill up an Accord for $45 and go 375 miles, for many, that's not bad if they drive 30 or less miles per day. That's $3.60 a day on gas ... a cup of coffee. Most people don't care about pittly little expenses like $3.60 per day. They want a nice looking, comfortable, reliable, normal car that fits in well with others on the road.

Many people with small children prefer larger vehicles because they'll likely be protected better in a bad crash.

Hybrids have to compete against conventional cars, not just on gas mileage, but overall as a car. Aside from fuel economy and emissions, a 3rd Gen Prius doesn't quite stack up to a Honda Accord which is more powerful, roomier and can carry 5 adults and luggage without blowing through the carrrying capacity. But, factor in the FE and the balance swings towards Prius.

I have family in CO that drive a 2001 Camry, and they only like to buy 2 year old cars, not new. They'll have a tough time justifying $8k more for a Camry hybrid over an LE. They'll get the LE instead. My bro in law is 6'4" with very long legs. 3rd Gen Prius a very tough fit for him. Guarantee you they won't consider a highlander hybrid.

Like I said, hybrids and such have to compete against conventionals to gain market share.

4. I922sParkCir

I922sParkCir Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive way too much. The choice was obvious.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Large vehicles protect better in a crash? Um, actually statistics show that an SUV's higher height makes it more prone to roll-over death ... so much so that the benefit from its extra weight, is outweighed by its roll over danger.

I'll disregard the Prius gets 15mpg or 16mpg better than the accord for a moment ... and that the accord goes from 0-60mph one second quicker than the prius. Help me understand this . . . how does one blow through the Prius carrying capacity, if each (acord vs prius) one has 5 people in it?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    30 miles a day is about 10k a year, quite a bit less than the US median of over 15k. So the $3.6 becomes $5.4. A prius saves about half, or $1000 a year *for the median*. If Cycleddrum is right and people just blow off that kind of savings, it is no wonder so many americans are debt ridden.

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another marketing case where customer perception is more important than reality.

1 person likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How about a 190 lb, 200 up front, two 160's and 150 in back, that's 860, 35 lbs over Prius' 825. luggage would be more. I did this once through SF in my 2009, no luggage. Once and only once.

CR claims Accord max load is 850 but that seems off as Camry is 900lb.

I've read that about SUV's more prone to rollover. Funny how some like be up higher for more commanding view of the road.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, good point. Average miles per driver from age 20 - 54 is 15k / year.

I don't think the naysayers comprehend 50 MPG average. They are duped by American marketing of Hwy MPG's only which is a farce. I understood 50 MPG's because I've owned many motorcycles. One averaged 50, some 44, 35, 42, etc... so I knew 46 MPG for a car was phenomenal.

I've read many reviews on edmunds and most are pretty darn excited about the Prius after they get one.

10. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Several sources state the 850 for the Accord, but that group would have been a load for any midsize sedan!:p Funny, the Govt. apparently thinks a typical passenger weighs 150lbs, so that's the standard manufacturers are required to meet! Guess our diet has changed since 150 was "typical"!:D

11. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The way I look at SUVs versus compact cars is that with the compact car, you can swerve "on a dime" and avoid the accident in the first place. With the SUV, it's not as nimble as a compact car, and there's a greater chance that you won't be able to swerve and avoid an accident in the first place. ...and when you swerve and clip another vehicle (or cement barrier) with one side of your tall vehicle but not the other side, the force of that impact will rotate your vehicle so that it's momentum is now causing it to roll over.

1 person likes this.
  12. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's not use red herrings here. The claim about large cars being safer was about two cars--e.g., a Camry in collision with a Yaris.
    And I bet you would rather be in the Camry.

And as to the small car's capacity to swerve faster--might be true, but most accidents happen because someone screwed up and wasn't watching, etc. The small car doesn't help on that score.

BUT MY REAL QUESTIONs about the CR survey are these:

When people tell pollsters that they are "considering" buying something next time, what percentage actually do so? And what percentage of the folks who say they are NOT considering buying something in fact wind up buying it?

13. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still waiting for the media to come clean on why gas prices suddenly stabilized when Obama took office.
    Anybody who watched the hearings on Cspan knows the real cause of $4 gas was oil futures speculation--encouraged during the Bush "let's deregulate government" era.
    Evidently, somebody has very quietly pulled the plug on buying oil futures without buying oil. That has restored price stability to the oil and power industry. You won't hear that on Fox. Or even Obama, for that matter. He's too busy watching polls.

1 person likes this.
  14. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I drive 48 miles to work, each way, five days a week. That's a lot of driving time. I see people on cell phones, putting on makup, EATING A MEAL, AND EVEN READING!!!, and some people that just plain don't even bother to look in their mirrors and decide to make a lane change without using turn signals. I'm constantly swerving to avoid people. When you drive 100 miles a day, statistics comes into play. You WILL drive by idiots, and idiots will swerve into your lane without signaling. It happens. Having my small, nimble 2004 Corolla is what keeps me alive.

2 people like this.
  15. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I overstated--yes, nimble does help sometimes.
    It just doesn't help you when you are the idiot, as we all are sometimes. I sure am.

16. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are more hybrid options compared to 5 years ago so this allows people to consider a hybrid more.

This is my first and my wife loved mine and we got a 2nd. In 4 months we know 2 people that also got a RX 400h after trying ours and hearing our thoughts.

17. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There are only 1700 random Americans?

;)