1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports used v Reliability?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by wjtracy, Mar 12, 2017.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So to follow-up on this thread with a summary:
    I see there is a long thread about problems we had with 2015 and early 2016 Prius v head units that required some software and possibly hardware fixes by Toyota. 2015 model year was the first year for this particular head unit design.

So by now the problem is solved,and anybody who had the problem has probably gone into Toyota to have it fixed under warranty.

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My son and the grandkids live in Cary too (just down from Costco) so I'm up that way frequently.

My wife had one knee replaced and we never heard about the 90 degree restriction. (Is the below 90 more bend than half way or less?) In fact the therapy after her surgery had her bending the knee more than that. Just back from the mountains around Boone this afternoon. She wasn't climbing mountains but was surely walking up some significant hills.

Last two times we took the v for economy. This time her Avalon for comfort and quiet. Both on the way up and back I noticed that even with cruise control on and even with varying the seat height, seat angle and leg position, my right knee got slightly sore. No complaints about either of her knees, even the replaced one. Nothing that a short stop and walk around wouldn't cure for me but got us to talking about our next car.

I began by saying I wanted a higher seat height (once drove a Dodge mini-van for 1300 miles straight so I know the seat height can make a difference) and that probably meant a future SUV and then she saying she wanted the same because her friends SUVs had all the electronic nannies. So then a discussion of how the nannies were now on about every car in our buying picture, sedans included. Followed "but I like to sit up higher, I'm tired of not being able to see around most vehicles." I think she was angling for her car being the next to be replaced.

So do we replace her 2011 Avalon or my 2012 v? Both currently below 50k miles. If we keep the v, it will need new tires and a 12v. Final discussion will come when the new designs of the Honda and Toyota are both out next year or 2019. Cost isn't really the issue (fortunately either purchase price or fuel cost) but I do think I want a hybrid. My son drove his wife's v back right behind us for most of the way down the mountains and with 3 passengers and their stuff, he had no trouble staying in sight though I didn't speed.

Every time I see a open door jeep, I think of what could happen. Ditto those 80s econoboxes. High strength steel and the current design tools make a difference.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Was a problem with the 2015s early but haven't heard of it for months now.