1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports vs Tesla ... Round 2

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 23, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Tesla and Consumers Reports Are Fighting Again » AutoGuide.com News

Consumer Reports recently released its Annual Reliability Survey and it predicted the Model 3 will have average reliability based on the amount of technology it shares with the Model S. The publication’s subscribers rated the Model S above average for the first time in the annual survey, but the Model X continues to struggle and is actually the least reliable car in this year’s study. Speaking to Bloomberg, Jake Fisher, the magazine’s director of auto testing said, “They realize that it’s important to get this car right. We would’ve not predicted average for the Model 3 unless we saw above-average data for the Model S. If the Model S was still just average, we would’ve not made that prediction.”

Not surprising, a Tesla spokeswoman released a statement on Consumer Reports‘ predicted reliability rating: “Consumer Reports has not yet driven a Model 3, let alone do they know anything substantial about how the Model 3 was designed and engineered. Time and time again, our own data shows that Consumer Reports‘ automotive reporting is consistently inaccurate and misleading to consumers.”
    . . .

I don't have a dog in that fight but it looks like time to make some pop corn. Right now, I give Tesla points ahead of Consumer Reports.

Bob Wilson

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same. plus, do you trust a guy who keeps saying, 'would've not'?

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's amazing how they can predict reliability for a car that hasn't been for sale very long. I stopped paying attention to CR a long time ago.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    yeah, I remember a CR issue that had reviews for three new competing cars. Despite being out for about the same amount of time, CR gave predicted reliability for two models, and a too new for the third.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Reliability? Maybe that's poor wording. IOW, between fit & finish, remote summon, auto-door opening & the delay with getting Autopilot II perfect, i doubt other owners/lessees would disagree ... you fork over 6 figures, & your expectations will NOT be met. But the X's do NOT end up on the side of the freeway ... they do keep running. It's just that their bling doesn't bling perfectly yet.

CR remains frustrated wirh the Tesla because owners still love their cars despite their warts.
    Consumer Reports Says Tesla Model S Customer Satisfaction Highest
    In the world of CR, if they give thumbs down to a car or other product, then readers should not like the product either, & readers ought to give thumbs down too.
    The X gets 5-star safety rating, goes, ~300miles, goes balls out, recharges pretty fast, on a pretty decent infrastructure, tons of cargo room, 5,000 Lbs tow rating, up to 6 passengers, etc etc. Warts? Plenty. But if that's the stuf that buyers want, AND it's the only game in town. Then buyers WILL be satisfied - warts & all,. And that's what CR just doesn't get.

#5 hill, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would've not trust them, duh!! Har, har.

bisco likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can remember the CR jihad against the Prius. Used to drive them crazy when their readers favored the Prius over the CR favorites. Then there was the time they 'forgot' to include the tax break in calculating the hybrid pay-off.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How about how a clumsy infotainment interface, pulls model's and a brand's reliability rating down. Without more details, a some many problems per 100 cars really doesn't tell you much. One car dying on the road, is worse than dozens of loose trim pieces.

The other two brands to earn that rating are Porsche and Chrysler. Could the respondents just be trolling CR?:whistle:

9. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Or could CR just be full of gas(oline)?!!
    Bigots just love Land Barges!!