1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption bars go to zero

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Roger3125, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

While traveling from Orange County to Reno, about 300 miles some mountain climbing I noticed the bars on the consumption screen had gone down to zero bars when we were climbin for long periods of time. Upon the down climb the brs returned.

My question is what would happen if we continued to climb for another half hour after all bars were gone. Would the car stall? Would the AC be shut down? And of couirse is this what is intended by Toyota's Hybrid System?

Had us worried as we were in the desert with temps up to 112 degrees.

We averaged 57.7 mpg

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean the Energy screen's battery SOC indicator? The consumption screen is the one that shows your mpg every 5 minutes.

Also confusing is that once the display gets to 2 bars they turn pink, they don't remain blue as you say in the sub-title.

And, finally, although it's probably possible to see all the bars disappear if the SOC of the battery got below 40% I have never once heard of that occuring before so can't really advise you on what it means. It would be highly unusual during normal driving.

Usually when the SOC starts getting low (below 45%) there is a marked drop in available power, top speed decreases, and much of the energy from the ICE goes into maintaining the battery's SOC at least at 1 pink bar.

3. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Sep 4 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]314213[/snapback]</div>
    Did you mean Las Vegas?