1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption/Energy Display Not Working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mosamal, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Mosamal

Mosamal New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, about 2 weeks ago I took my 2005 Prius into a mechanic to fix my water pump leak. After it finished, I noticed the display for energy and consumption would not appear. I assumed it would fix after I turned the car off and back on, because occasionally the display, even for my MPH would disappear and would fix after I turned the car off and back on. It is also quite unusual that when it is supposed to be on the energy/consumption screen, which instead is all black, the radio shows up just fine on that display. Here is a video of it.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty common for the MFD to fail. Its also common for the combo meter to fail too thats the speedo. Lots of posts about both. Search.

Helps to keep the car out of the sun.I bet you never ever use a sun shade in the window. Cabin gets incredibly hot with that huge windshield and back hatch. All the electronics take a beating when subjected to that kind of daily sun beating. I don't leave my car for a few minutes without throwing in my Weather tech heat shield in the windshield and extend the back package rack too as the sun is cooking the hybrid battery in the back too. You have alot of very expensive things inside that cabin.

They sell the Weathertech here in the Prius Shop. Its insulated and form fitted to fit the windshield perfectly.
    It works i have owned the car for 10 years no issue with the mfd or combo. All my cars have them. Its just stupid to get into a car thats 140 degrees F.

3. Red Riley

Red Riley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow. Making a lot of assumptions there.
    We just had the accessory battery replaced by the dealer after having random screen failures and fuel gauge weirdness. The display worked fine on a 4 hour drive yesterday, but the Consumption/Energy screens wouldn't come on at all.
    And it was 60 degrees and cloudy all day. Should I go buy a sun shade? Think it will fix my problem?