1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Contaminated Fuel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dan-Wolfe, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good day to you all!

Firstly, let me tell you all how helpful that this form has been in both deciding eight months ago to buy a Prius in the first place, and what to expect after the sale. This has been an invaluable resource in making the Prius experience overwhelmingly positive.

I am faced now, however, with a problem which your collective expertise will no doubt be of great value. I bought a tank of gas contaminated with water. The gas station admitted it and is footing the bill for the replacement of the gas tank unit in the Prius. Now this is all done, and the car runs fine again, however, I had the "check engine" light come on twice.

The first time, I immediately took it back to the dealership (Alexandria Toyota in Virginia -- VERY nice people and very helpful as well!) They kept it overnight and declared it to be "related to the gas cap." They reset the light and the gas cap and sent me on my merry way -- no charge, by the way.

Two days later, whilst commuting, the light came on again. Research about such things here on the PriusChat site seem to indicate that what they were telling me was indeed the likely culprit. However, with my Prius (my baby, I admit!) about to go in the shop again, is there any advice about such things which may be of value?

I do NOT know the engine codes which were generated in the process, so I can't be of any help in providing any solid quantifyiable diagnostic facts from which you can base a judgment. (Unless they are on the original repair receipt -- and I am not sure I'd know what to look for anyhow.) Just hoping that the collective experience of this auspicious group may be able to guide me to a final resolution.

In closing, I am not a car geek. :) I always have a close personal relationship with vehicles I own. (No, not that close!) But this Prius is just about the coolest, nicest, most reliable car I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It has always exceeded my expectation at every turn. Well worth the price paid, and damned if it's not still fun to drive after eight months of trouble free operation. If I hadn't introduced the contaminated fuel into the tank, it would no doubt still be purring like the proverbial kitten.

Thanks again to you all! 'Preciate your help!

Warm Regards,

Dan Wolfe

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know what pre-visit advice people can offer, but i would say this: when you show up, tell them you want to know what the codes are, then you can post them here and someone with some more knowledge can translate those over to what the problem is.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had the gas cap engine light before, too, and it went away after removing and retightening the gas cap. Hopefully, that's all it is. It's possible not everything was fully repaired; there's more to the fuel system than just the tank. Was the pump checked, and the filter, and the gas lines? Hopefully the gas line was flushed to remove any water remaining in the system.

4. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They should have purged the lines, changed the gas filter, and crossed their fingers the injectors didn't get clogged. What they did should be listed on your dealer invoice.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, unusual that you actually get a gas station to fess up to that! way to go! :)

anyway, if all they did was replace the gas tank they didn't do enough. they should have blown out the whole fuel system.

tnthub, the fuel filter in the prius is a part of the gas tank assy.

6. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 24 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]291757[/snapback]</div>

Strangely enough, I was at the gas station just as the driver of the bulk fuel truck discovered that HIS gas was contaminated. They rushed around telling everyone to stop using regular grade gas, but it was too late for some of us.

Should also note that this was a Navy Exchange gas station near the Pentagon supplied by Citgo. They have already called me and told me that the reimbursement was approved and apologised for the delay. I was like -- "What delay?" lol... I consider their response to have been stellar.

Good suggestion about asking for the codes. I will do that. I am still trying to get in touch with my service advisor who, in spite of not fixing it the first and second times, has been really good about working with me on it all. Matter of fact, he just called and set up the service appointment for tomorrow, so hopefully, I'll have more info then.

On a related note, what is the consensus -- or IS there one -- on the best Prius mechanic in Northern Virginia? I've seen a few posts, but nothing specific. Is there anyone out there who knows the definitive expert in NoVa? Curious...

Surely will miss my Prius while it's in the shop. Driving anything else is completely unsatisfying.

Unless they put me in a Porche. :)

Dan

7. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I kow the fuel pump is part of the gas tank but the fuel filter????? That is normally a regularly changed item.... Perhaps it is just inside the tank but removable? I'm not talking about the sock that fits over the pump but the actual line filter. The prius must have a line filter somewhere, right? Or am I completely out to lunch on this one?

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jul 25 2006, 10:09 AM) [snapback]291929[/snapback]</div>
    yep.

not anymore, not on toyotas. they're designed to last the life of the vehicle. they are not stocked by dealers and are not intended to be changed.

nothing in that tank's removable... trust us on that one :blink:

nope. all in the tank. most if not all toyotas went to this design in 03.

9. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 25 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]292259[/snapback]</div>

I love Galaxee and DH.

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  11. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 25 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]292307[/snapback]</div>

Considering what you have on your plate right now, you are amazing that you post so often. I really do admire you.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    behold, the power of procrastination :lol:

i'm actually half serious. i need some kind of distraction or the intense concentration that's demanded of me 80% of the time would bug me out.

plus, it's a slow week this week. and this is what i do to kill time while i've got free time at work or when i'm home and DH is at work (fred's or light tech stuff) or he's watching his tv show (tough tech stuff)

but wow, thanks! i'm flattered. :)

13. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 25 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]292326[/snapback]</div>
    You and DH are appreciated.
    I wish you both the best!

14. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a quick update. The fine people at Alexandria Toyota took my Prius in the shop today as planned to see if they can locate the source of the "check engine" light. I took your advice and asked them to retrieve the engine codes, and he had the ones from the original service call: P0441 and P0446.

By the way, they gave me a free loaner car and also are installing the front end mask for me as well. These folks are at the very least exhibiting terrific customer service. I'm impressed, frankly, compared to the dealership from which I bought the car in the first place.

Dan

15. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Picking up the Prius this morning. They called Saturday to come pick it up when I was about 70 miles out of town with the loaner, so I waited until this morning to go get it. Wish me luck....

Dan

16. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Jul 31 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]295003[/snapback]</div>

I got it. They found the charcoal canister leaking and replaced it. No charge. I was shocked. They also installed the front hood mask. Also at no charge. Now if the check engine light remains off, this will be the end of the contaiminated fuel incident.

Alexandria Toyota surely did what they could to make the inconvenience of coming back worthwhile. I can honestly say that these folks really took care of me and took care of the car. I am delighted with the work they did, and even though it took them a couple of tries, they made it right.

See Sean Martin at Alexandria Toyota if you're in Northern Virginia. Tell him you got a recommendation from the PriusChat web site.

Dan

P.S. Got a check over the weekend which reimbursed the cost of everything. This has been relatively painless! <Furiously knocking on wood!>