1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Contemplating Dashcam wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by krausternet, Jun 22, 2019.

1. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2013 Prius level 3 (without Homelink mirror) with sunroof. I bought a Vantrue N1 dashcam.

To start using it I've just mounted it and have the power cable hanging down to the cigarette lighter.
    - of course it looks bad.
    - until now I've had a dual USB port plugged into the cigarette lighter to charge two cell phones.

There's choices about how to proceed:
    1a) I can run the wire from the dashcam tucked into the ceiling and watching people on youtube it seems like it shouldn't be difficult. But coming down the side where the wire needs to be tucked into the gap at the edge of the sidepost airbag panels seems at first glance a little unsafe. I've seen comments warning about that but I've also seen comments that say that the explosive force of a triggered airbag will easily overwhelm the wire if it is just in the gab. That seems to make sense.
    If I run the wire on the passenger side I can continue behind the glove compartment and have it pop out above the cigarette lighter and plug it in. I will then have to use the usb socket that is in the center console box for charging the phones. Or I buy a splitter that gives me an cigarette lighter and two more USB sockets.

1b) Or I run the wire on the driver side and have it come out toward the fuse box and get power from there. I think USB is 5V and the fuses are for 12V? Is there a voltage conversion device that has to be inline to attach to the fuse box? And I figure running it to fuse box gives me a choice of whether to pick an always on fuse or one that is switched on with the ignition. I've seen some people suggest keeping the camera on 24/7 to maybe catch bumps while not driving, and others advise against it because it'll drain the battery.

OR

2) Or I could wire directly into the inside of the overhead sunroof lighting box. That seems clean and I have the sunroof version. How do I pop off the cover plate (I'm trying to find a youtube showing this)? I'd be chopping the power cable, and as mentioned, I guess I have to convert 12V in the overhead panel to 5V USB with an inline device, or is there 5V in that overhead panel?

Opinions?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey! I'm actually wiring in mine today. Just starting my own research, but my general plan is to tap the power going to the mirror/safety pod at top center of the windshield. If it doesn't look good as I get into it, I'll run the wire all the way down to the cabin fuse panel.

3. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have power going to my mirror. The 2013 level 3 just has a simple mirror isolated and attached to the glass. So I will send the wire into the ceiling panel if I learn how to connect it within that panel.

Attached Files:

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't say for sure that you do, but in most recent Japanese cars they run a branch of power to that position no matter what. It only gets used in the ones with the optional homelink/onstar mirrors. Otherwise it's totally untapped. I'm just figuring out my camera on the bench right now, next step will be renting the toyota wiring diagram to validate my plan.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It'd be nice if Toyota pre-wired for dash cams, front and rear. Make a good bullet point in the brochures?

6. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have vantrue pro in my Prius I ran wires back to 12v battery and used the power magic pro to power it along with a 2nd rear facing can.

Power Magic Pro - BlackVue

Doing this alerted me to my 12v battery going bad since the cams were going on and off during vehicle operations

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Argh!

I got the camera mostly figured out, updated the firmare and figured out where and how I want to mount it.

Then I went to techinfo.toyota.com to rent the wiring diagram so I could figure out where to tap power, and I can't log in. It took my money but now it says it couldn't log me in, please reset cookies etc... I've tried a few different browsers and settings and gotten nowhere. Anyone out there know that system well enough to offer pointers? Their customer support desk is closed on weekends. :(

EDIT: SOLVED

Even though I registered with a username composed of lower-case characters, their system converted it to all-caps and then insisted that I use the all-caps version of it. Works now, just a crummy setup.

#7 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yesterday after I installed the Vantrue N1 and took a drive with it, I came home, took out the memory card and put it in my computer to view it. I was surprised to see that it had about 6 files from the trip when i was expecting only two. I reviewed them and it seems that dashcam had turned off a couple times while I was driving. Besides figuring out how I want to mount it (mentioned above) I also will be looking up why this happened. I don't think my battery is going bad. What makes you think that your on and off problem had to do with the battery?

9. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What the heck? it changes to all caps? I'll add that to the list of things to watch out for when going through those types of can't log in problems.

10. Raphael Muscarelle

Raphael Muscarelle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used a voltage monitoring device that turns off the cameras if voltage gets too low and wired directly to the 12v battery with its own fuse.

"During operating the car the cameras started to turn on and off as I driver. This means that even tho the car was charging the voltage was dropping below 12.7v which it shouldn't since it should be getting charged at the time."

I brought it to get tested and of course the person only quick tested it and quick test said weak not bad.
    Sure I believe that only way to truly test battery is to charge with known good charger and put load in it. Yeah there is lots of high-tech devices that do this.

Anyway got new 12v battery and cameras stoped going on and off

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    And digging deeper, it appears that I can get ignition switched power on connector Q7 on the pre-collision safety sensor, pin 7 (black) for IG+ and pin 10 (white/black) for ground. I'm going to verify that with a meter next, then chop the camera power cord and splice it in.

12. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How do you get this cover off to get to the electronics panel? I pried along the edge of the left clear plastic lens and it popped off without breaking the tangs, which is good. But I can't see access to any screws holding the cover in place. Do you push or pull the whole thing in one direction or the other?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/91rijHfU4MNqph8b9

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure, the dome light in my c is substantially different. In my case the whole assembly is held in by 4-5 spring steel tabs, so it all clicks into an opening in the inner steel wall of the roof. The whole assembly (not just the clear panels for lights) pops out with some gentle prying. I would expect it to be the same or similar for yours because that's a common way to do it, but I don't know for certain.

Disconnect your 12v battery before trying to get it out, there are some battery-hot terminals on the backside of that thing and they can come close to the edge of the steel panel as the fixture rotates outward.

For what it's worth, now that I've bought access to the wiring diagram it appears that there is a connector U6 in the roof, extreme front, centerline of 2013 Prius models without homelink garage door openers. It's there to support auto-dim mirrors, but I can't think of any reason why you couldn't use that power for your camera.

14. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll look for the U6 connector once I can figure out how to pop open the cover.

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I backprobed pins 7 & 10 on connector Q7 and got exactly what I'd hoped for; ignition switched power. Now to make up the new harness and fix it all in...

Right all done except for the high-fives and adult beverages.

dcam.png

@krausternet how are you making out on yours?

#15 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    mjoo likes this.
  16. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I decided to not proceed until I can figure out how to pry off the cover. I imagine it is simple but I don't want to start yanking and break a clip. I'll keep asking around and searching for a youtube. But yes, I think finding 12V and gnd on the panel under that cover is the way to go. I have a voltage meter.

17. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my 2013 Prius level 3 I've been able to pop off the forward panel and the panel with the controls on it.
    2019-06-29 11_24_53-Photo - Google Photos.jpg

There's a 24 pin connector.
    2019-06-29 11_28_37-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    I've found a few contact combinations that give me 11V and 12V but they are constantly on. For example pins 4 & 24 gives me 12V and strangely 4 &16 five me 11V. They don't shut down when I turn off the car. I have found one combo Pins 4 to 6 that gives me 3V and slowly shuts down to under .5V (didn't wait to see how low it gets to, but it doesn't drop to 0V immediately).

@Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, you mentioned a wiring schematic?

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bought an access pass to the Toyota techinfo system last weekend. That expired Monday, so I no longer have access to it. I happened to look up some stuff for your car, and it mentioned several multipin connectors up in that space at the front of the headliner. All I can suggest is that you buy a pass and start fresh- I found the documentation to be excellent, and it allowed me to sort out my own dashcam tap quickly.

19. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see that is a $20 fee for 2 day pass, which I guess is worth it if it gets me the info I need. I might pay for that later in July.

But offhand I don't see any other connectors than the 24pin one that I show in my photo. I do see a few wires bundled going inside the roof cavity that look like they would be carrying power to the lights in the ceiling behind the visors on both sides. but I don't see access to them through connectors.

Attached Files:

20. krausternet

krausternet Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It helps to have a fresh battery in my Fluke VOM.
    This morning I am seeing that Pin 4,7 and 9 on the single 24 pin connector are 0V, tied directly to the car's ground.
    Pin 24 is an always on 13V. Pins 2 and 16 are at 12V when switched on with the Power button. And what was confusing me yesterday, besides the meter not working correctly, is that those pins 2 and 16 don't go down to 0V until 45 seconds after the Power button turns the car off.

Now its on to wiring up something. @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, how did you make your harness? Did you chop off the cigarette lighter plug and use two of the wires in the cable coming from the dashcam, and solder those two wires to breaks in the insulation of two of the car's wire harness? Or did you do something different?