1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continental "ecoplus" is pure BS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought ecoplus was for LRR, but it was not. I lost 8 MPG when went from OEM Ecopias to Conti purecontact tires. Of course I expected a loss of MPG with new tires, but somewhere in the 5% range and not 15%. This is in pure city driving, the hwy driving difference is not as great. Initially I thought this could be a tire break-in process, but no difference almost 1000 miles later.
    BTW, I got some bonus tire noise, something that was absent even in worn down Ecopias.

PS: I had ecopias pumped at 44PSI, and now Contis at 51PSI. When I had Contis at 44PSI, there was a disturbing (to me) feel of soft sidewalls.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where those Ecopia EP20? I've had good experience with them, bought 2 sets for a previous vehicle with 195/65R15 size so far. The car was in our hands at the first change, and mpg didn't budge, going from well worn to brand new. Obviously there had to have been some drop, but it was negligible.

I think as long as we're relying purely on manufacturer's data, you have to research RR carefully, from surveys and testimonials.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yes