1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continuous beeping and warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Danish Tahir, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Danish Tahir

Danish Tahir New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey I have a prius 2007 and its contiously beeping non stop with the dashboard lights on including ABS ligh Yellow(!) and emergency brake sign. The brakes are also not working properly but sometimes it does. The beep is non stop

JazzX4 likes this.
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have an issue already with your abs actuator pump, that's y it's beeping.

Scan the car, and post codes.

You may likely get an actuator low pressure blablabla, and maybe a ....sensor blablabla undone(kind of like a calibration something).

In some cases, if there's a problem with any of the abs motor relays, you'd have an ineffective braking system.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The advice to read the trouble codes is good advice.

We already know a little about what codes might be included (there are several dozen possible trouble codes for the braking system, but only a handful of them also set off the alarm sound, so clearly you will have at least one out of that handful). Still, knowing the actual codes will help with understanding the problem and what to do about it.

You have a Gen 2, where a lot of the components that could be involved are all combined into a single assembly, there probably will not be much doubt what assembly to replace, if it comes to that.

-Chap

4. chronon

chronon Active Member

here and there aint be in frozen wasteland no mo..
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Tonight, this happened to me on my 05... had been driving about 40 ? minutes .. did have some long weights .. long lights .. train .. and then about 6 miles ... and then this continuous high pitch beep .. couldnt get my scan guage 2 into read error mode .. am able to break with great peddle pressure and also ebreak can assist .. ---- this is a no bueno situation .. mabye btoyota put this in to fail with so many starts count .. so much time count .. or a mileage acheivement ..... why else would this randomly fail ?

#4 chronon, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  5. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    this haappened to me tonight ...

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When something wears out, why does it happen to cross the no-longer-functioning threshold tonight, rather than last night, or tomorrow night? There's really nothing more complicated or philosophical to it than that.

It's still good advice to get the trouble codes, because there are still multiple possibilities for exactly what wore out. Many would assume the brake actuator, and that's not a bad assumption, but it would still feel silly (and expensive) to go to the fuss of replacing that and only then figure out in your case it was a bad electrical connection, or something. So I'm in favor of diagnosing first.

7. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    just ran code reader ...

got codes 2238, 2601 ...
    one is for an oxygen sensor ... the other is for the coolant pump .. neither anything to do with breaks ?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A couple things. One, when reporting codes, please give the whole code. Each one starts with a letter P, C, B, or U. They're not just decoration.

Second, if you're not getting any brake system codes with the reader you are using, don't use that reader. In a pinch, you always have the option of using a jumper wire to read out blink codes (many posts about that here). You can post those.

9. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    -- they were P codes.
    2) i have several readers .. scanGuage 2 .. the Craftsman that gave the above reads (it has u enter toy/lexus at startup) - a chinese ' MS-300' (about worthless) ( i will get codes with that to see if it confirms the Craftsman reader) -- Have some blue-tooth and wi-fi dongles that connect ot cell phone app - would be interesteding to see what Torque produces .. and an Elm-323

of course the better source would be techstream using windows laptop ... ---- which is a little flaky but still gives the best info ..

#9 chronon, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The reasons for your brake alarms would be C codes.

If the available readers have trouble reading them, the jumper-and-blinkenlights will always be a fallback option.

11. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    seems so neandertal .. did that in obdI cars and it was painfully long and laborious as well as tedious and non-copesetic.

12. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    C-Codes can be read by readers or will only Techstream be able to pull them ? (and the wire blinky method?)

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's perplexing ... even non-hybrid cars have brakes, and it's pretty normal for generic code readers to be able to get codes from brake ECUs. I'm quite surprised you didn't see any.

The blinkenlights method is definitely less elegant, but one thing to be said for it is whenever there are any questions about the code reader being used, it takes those questions out of the picture.

14. chronon

chronon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    saw scotty kilmer's vid on the obd100 and ordered one coming in 2morrow .. seems pretty good value ..
    anybodys on here had good luck with it ? ThinkOBD2100
    yeah no .. aside from the techstream .. i dont think any scanner is going to see what the dash is displaying .. just tried the dongle to phone app and nothing came up on abs ...
    did i waste $ on yet another scanner - sort of .. 1) could have gotten it from wmt for $7-8 less if i could have waited a few more days on delivery .. 2) ITS COLOR !! woo hoo .. 3) Scotty said it had all kinds of things (like what the phone app has .. all kinds of things people dont need to see) 4) it will be the 'go to' before digging in with a deep dive ..
    I'm thinking the paperclip deal might be of use since I cant find the laptop & techstream cable at the moment ..

#14 chronon, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021