1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continuous frozen rear caliper and even brake wear

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dhman2006, Jan 6, 2018.

1. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Recently took my 2011 Prius for an oil change to the dealer and as part of the oil change package they did a thorough inspection of the vehicle. The report that I got showed that the rear brake pads are worn out and need to be replaced.
    I was very surprised to hear that given that I replaced the pads and the rotors less than a year ago. I told the repair guy to show me the pads and it looked like I was getting uneven wear on the pads. This was the very reason I had to change out the pads and rotor a year ago. He also told me that the rear caliper was frozen and need to be freed up. My car has only 68K miles on it and in the last 3 years and I already changed pads/ rotors twice in that timeframe. So this will be the third time in 3 years.
    When I was changing the pads/rotors last year I saw the sliding pins to be a little rusty and it seemed "stuck". So I thought those were the culprits and bought new ones. But now I'm thinking calipers are the ones causing this uneven brake wear issue that I've been having. And this is only happening on the rear of the vehicle. I haven't had a single brake related issue on the front.
    What I'm trying to figure out though, given the "frozen" calipers am I better off freeing them or should I just get new pair of calipers. I'm getting really tired of changing out pads and rotors every year.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this has been well documented as lack of slide pin lubrication in snow/salt area's, are you sure they are lubricated properly?

danlatu likes this.
  3. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm sure they're well lubricated. As I've said, I bought a new pair last year (for my own sanity) and made sure those are well lubricated.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha, never heard of another problem. what caliper issue do you perceive, frozen piston?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What lube was used on the pins?

Also, whoever's opening up the rear brakes, are they aware of the piston orientation requirement? Piston should look (and remain thus, after install) like this:

upload_2018-1-6_18-15-12.png

Not like this:

upload_2018-1-6_18-20-31.png

4est, Raytheeagle, SFO and 1 other person like this.
  6. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube to lube the sliding pins. I believe the mechanic was aware of the location and that's how he sat the piston

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The lube sounds like good stuff, spec'd for pin lube.

Regarding the piston pattern orientation: you want to reassemble with the pattern in the "X" configuration (per first picture above), and then you want to ensure it stays thus. This would entail pumping the brakes multiple times, taking the car for a short test drive, and only afterwards using the parking brake, if needed.

My sense is that if the caliper piston is not well seated and the parking brake is yoinked, it's going to try to rotate the piston, might succeed, and if that happens, then you've got the piston's raised spoke pressing only the pin on the back of the inner brake pad, uneven pressure on the pads, uneven wear, scoring rotors, and so on.

A good test after rear brake work and all of the above steps, is to raise the rear once more, ensure the parking brake is released, and spin the wheels, checking for drag. A disk brake by design will have slight drag, but with moderate effort you should easily be able to spin the wheel one or two revolutions.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The piston of a good caliper should extend while you introduce pressure through the brake-line port (there should be something in the caliper about the width of a rotor+pads to stop the piston popping right out), and when you release the pressure, the piston should slip back in by about 0.3 mm or so. You can use a dial indicator to measure it, but 0.3 mm is about visible to the naked eye. 0.3 mm is what I measured on my old Gen 1 front calipers, I don't know if it might be slightly different for the rears.

That's the only thing that "releases" the brakes when you release the pedal, and it's all done by the square-cut rubber seal around the piston (which you can't see without taking the piston out). Gen 3 rears also have the little V-shaped springs to help spread the pads back out, but those only add a bit of help.

That retraction can stop happening as the rubber seal ages. Once that happens, the brakes drag, and get crazy hot, and cook the rubber faster.

If you buy inexpensive rebuilt calipers, you can even end up with ones that you can test right out of the box and measure zero piston return. It may be about the exact materials they use. One I bought that had that problem had a much shinier, polished piston than the more matte-finished one Toyota uses, and maybe that gives the seal less hold on it; they might also use a different rubber in the seal. For a critical part of caliper behavior, it all depends on pretty subtle properties of materials.

Also, I'm guessing Toyota tests theirs before they go in the box, and I'd bet the vendor I bought that rebuild from does, ahem, less of that. So my new policy is, maybe I'm not forever against third-party rebuilt calipers, but any that I buy is going to get tested on the bench before I sink any time into putting it on the car.

If the rubber boot around the face of the piston takes any damage, rust can happen between the piston and bore. That'll seize it right up, which is easy to notice. A caliper with zero return can be harder to spot: the piston might not feel difficult to move, it just doesn't move back on its own.

You might want to make sure the pads slide freely in the channels of the mounting bracket, when the caliper is lifted off. They should move easily enough that the V springs on top really do push them away from the rotor when you let go. If things aren't that slippery, you can replace the little Teflon-ish coated spring steel pieces the pad 'ears' slide in; that's called the "fitting kit", has four pieces (enough to do both calipers) and is maybe $15-ish at the dealer.

-Chap

danlatu likes this.
  9. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. My concern is more with the frozen caliper than the pistons. Why'd the caliper be frozen and what do I need to do to free it up so I don't have to change the rotors and the pads every couple of months.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how can the caliper be frozen if it is sliding on the pins?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Start by raising the rear and doing the spin test?

12. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We finally broke the freezing barrier and I was able to raise the car and do a spin test. Sure enough the rear wheels were difficult to spin. I suspected that the rear brakes were dragging and took the car to a trusted mechanic. He decided to take all four wheels off. The front ones were just fine; pads were getting to the end of their lives. So we decided it was best to do change out the pads. He didn't want me to change the front rotors since they are still in good shape.

The rear ones however had very uneven wear. The glide pin was somewhat frozen. So he suspected that was causing the issue. He took them out and lubed them up and put new pads and rotors on the rear axle. However when he was pushing the piston back I noticed that he had a hard time. For the rear ones, per piston he had to spend good 7-8 minutes whereas the front ones took less than a min per piston.

I drove the car around for a bit. When I came back home and touched the rotors I noticed that the rear rotors were quite hot whereas the front rotors were of normal temp. That makes me think that the rear brakes are still dragging, but I can't figure out what is causing that issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How was the wear "uneven"? One pad more wear, or beveled wear?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Were you watching that process? Was he using the proper tool to rotate the rear pistons as he pushed them back in?

There is a spring clutch built into the caliper that is supposed to allow the internal threaded post to spin only one way (so the piston can adjust outward as pads wear, but cannot be pushed inward; the parking brake depends on that). If he was trying to mash the pistons straight back, to even succeed at all (let alone in 7 or 8 minutes) would only be by overpowering that spring clutch. That would take determination. New calipers might be on the horizon.

Slidability of the pins matters not, if the piston's not free to retract when the brakes are released.

-Chap

15. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Basically the center of the pad where the pin sits was wearing out much faster than the rest of the pad. The center of the pad was completely gone while the rest of the pad was still there.

16. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I observed him was he went through the process. He started off with a basic tool to rotate the pin, but when that didn't work he took out another tool that looked like the tool in the picture below. He was only rotating the tool one way. So my assumption is he spun it properly. Why do you think new caliper is on the horizon? If it's a piston related issue shouldn't I be changing the piston?

[​IMG]

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you mean this pin:

upload_2018-1-13_18-43-31.png

That would be testament to the piston spoke pattern being misaligned, the raised spoke riding up on the pin, causing uneven wear. It's paramount to have the pin in between the raised spokes, and well seated there, so it doesn't slip and ride up on the spoke with parking brake application.

18. dhman2006

dhman2006 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That's exactly why the mechanic triple-checked to make sure that the pin that's on the pad went in properly on the spoke of the piston. I'm not sure if somehow the raised spoke is getting on the pad or there's something else that's causing the brake to drag

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the pin too, if the top face of it looks bevelled/chewed, would be a clue that the spoke pattern rotated. I haven't got my head around it completely myself, but my thinking is that when you apply parking brake, it will rotate the piston if that pin isn't solidly locked.

I'm not saying this is for certain your problem, but I know from personal DIY experience, this is one thing that can happen.

One more symptom: the inside face of the rotor will be roughly 50 percent rusty, due to near zero contact.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh, good. I just had to ask, because with some mechanics, you just never know. And if you heard a mechanic say the rear pistons were really hard to force back, and he wasn't using a rotating tool, well, they would be really hard that way, and even if he succeeded (especially if he succeeded!), I'd have my concerns about the caliper.

But from your report it sounds like he knew to rotate it.

Remember that was in the context of my asking how he forced the piston back in.

But it does sound as if the pistons did not go back easily. You want them to move easily, because that's the only way the brakes let go. Applying the brakes isn't the problem, you've got 2000-psi-and-up brake fluid going back there so those pistons will extend out. But when you let go of the pedal, there's nothing but the rubber piston seals and those dinky V springs on top of the pads to make those brakes let go.

I gave some info in post #8 on how you can test the calipers you have and make sure they let go appropriately. I'm not an advocate of replacing things unnecessarily, so if you can test yours and get them to pass, that's great in my book. If they don't pass because the pistons don't move easily, yes, you can take them apart to find out why, if you're comfortable with that. You can get the rubber kit from Toyota in advance, it's cheap and has all the rubber parts (plus miscellaneous metal clips, etc.) to do both rear calipers. It doesn't include new pistons; if you find those to be non-salvageable, new pistons they sell a la carte.

Probably, at the very least, you would do well to replace the rubber piston seals (these are the square-cut ones inside the bore, only visible with the pistons out, not the visible rubber boot). Even if they were not the problem originally, if the brakes have been dragging for long, they've been very hot, and those seals are now probably cooked. And it's the exact way those seals twist and spring back that's needed to make your brakes let go.

I'm not certain that all the internal parts of the rear calipers are available over the counter. I seem to recall that the rubber kit did not include the seal where the parking brake shaft goes in from behind (or, at least, didn't seem to, in the diagram I was looking at). So be sure you know what replacements you have and what you don't, before going too wild with disassembly.

There's kind of a long-running controversy over whether to open the bleed screw when forcing the piston back. My inclination is to do so, which can make it easier to push the piston back, and avoids pushing a bunch of fluid from your brake line backwards through the brake actuator valves. In the end you have to add some fluid to make up for what came out, which means you've removed some old, dead-ended fluid from the lines, and put some nice fresh fluid in up front.

Some people never bother doing that, and just happily force the fluid backwards, and never have a problem. On the other hand, if a problem were going to result, it might well manifest as dragging brakes (if, say, a piece of grot were forced back into an actuator valve, preventing it from completely closing). I wouldn't worry about that, unless you end up with a new, or newly overhauled and tested, caliper, and it still drags anyway.

-Chap

#20 ChapmanF, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018