1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continuous hybrid battery failure, 4 times since 1/16

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Archer472, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Okay so I bought this Prius from auction in January 2016 to flip. Well the battery was dead or at least all the lights were on and I paid way too much for it so I registered it , paid $500 for a battery fix bandaid and learned to love it. 3 months later p3019 went. I paid for a new rebuilt battery as the guy told me that he made sure the battery modules were leveled or whatever they call it. Anyway , he put in 3 more batteries all having p3019 module 9 going, including the last which he claimed was a 2013 battery with 60k on it. That one lasted since December and 3019 went. I kept driving it and 3018 and 3021 followed. Is there anything that could be making my module 9 keep going out? I guess it could just be coincidence but I don't think so. Also the guy who changed my battery told me that I needed to wait until the arrow went off when charging the battery before I put it in drive and pulled out with the Prius. I always forgot to do it. He said especially with this last 2013 battery where you had to do it? Is this the reason my batteries are going?

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wait until the arrow went off? That is the weirdest advice I have ever heard. So, no. You did not harm your battery by forgetting some magic sequence.

I would love to talk to this guy. Maybe he has secrets I haven't heard of.

I'm not sure if I correctly understand what you are saying. You talk about replacing "3 more batteries".

You mean he put in 3 different battery packs (28 modules).

Did he use your old computer each time?

If so I would have a serious look at the wiring harness/connector at the computer, as well as the computer itself. Could have corrosion or other damage.

Feel free to call me to discuss.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reason your battery keeps dying is because that person doing the work is not doing anything more than a module swap. Giving you a bandaid every time.

It's always 3019 because those batteries he's putting in is not working well with the rest of the pack. I suggest if the pack is not under warranty, you get yourself another person that can do a proper rebuild of that battery

SM-N900P ?

strawbrad likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, this was the other way to interpret the post.

The guy is just swapping modules into the existing, original pack.

In that case the wireframe, sensors and computer connections need to all be aggressively inspected.

5. Archer472

Archer472 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No, the first time I used a guy and paid $565, he swapped teh module and balanced it. The 2nd time I bought a used and he swapped it in for mine, it was then under warranty and he changed it for batteries he had 3 more times. I'm going to look into wire frame,wiring harness connector at the computer,

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did he balance it? Did you leave him your battery for 5 days?

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    has the charging system been tested? any signs the car was a flood car or wrecked?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like prius at auction may be hit or miss.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is a bit of a red flag here. It's indicates that the guy is not really confident in the health of his replacements batteries.

Yes it's true, there is a particular operating sequence to warm the engine (and precharge the battery) that is particularly gentle on the HV battery, and which can definitely help an aging battery cope. I use the procedure regularly on my 2005 with original battery at 300,000 km.

Basically it involves always allowing the Prius to warm up its engine while in "P" (hold the brake and tap the accelerator to start the engine if needed) before shifting to "D" and driving. It avoids operating with cold cats and low engine power, where the Prius tries to use too much electrical power (for an old worn battery), and it also precharges the battery very slightly which also helps a tiny bit.

This however is a technique to "nurse" an old battery along. If the guy was confident in the health of the batteries he is selling then it wouldn't be necessary.