1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Contribution of MG2 and ICE to output Torque

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by James Goss, Jul 18, 2012.

1. James Goss

James Goss New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if you may be able to help. I need to make a simple estimate of the output torque of MG2 in the Prius II over the UDDS, HWFET and US06 driving cycles. The rpm of MG2 is simple to calculate as it's directly coupled to the wheel speed. I know that the torque will depend quite significantly on the battery SoC and I'd be happy to assume that it starts at 50% or similar. The attached image shows the 'optimal' operating line that the ICE is worked at but as the ICE speed seems to have little correlation with vehicle speed it's difficult to pick out where the ICE is operating and hence what is torque is required from MG2 to meet demand.

I don't want to go to the lengths of trying to reverse engineer and model the control strategy of the vehicle as they've done here, as that's quite outside the scope of the project.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also does anyone know how MG2 combines with frictional brakes to provide the braking torque?
    I'm currently assuming MG2 recovers anything up to 250Nm after which the frictional brakes take over.
    Prius_ICE.jpg
    Many Thanks

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What exactly is your project about? If I were you I would just use your 2006 Prius to collect data for the driving cycles as a start. The experiment must have been done by some labs but I don't know if the data would be available to us. Sorry can't be very helpful.

3. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    James:

I've been off the forums for awhile and I just saw this. I really have no idea what "UDDS, HWFET and US06 driving cycles" are so I have no idea if this info will help, but if you check out the Android program called Torque and search this forum for custom pids that members here have developed, there is one in that set that returns some values for MG1 & MG2 torque. I've never used them so I have no idea what they report and if that would be helpful to you in what you are doing. Thought I would show my ignorance by mentioning this however