1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Control Arm Fix - Is It Necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Gene P, Sep 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently took my 2011 Prius in for an oil change and routine service at my local Toyota service center. I don't know much about automobile maintenance, but I know service advisers typically make a commission on selling you extra maintenance your car may well not need, so I'm often wary of their advice.

This time the adviser said they could not adjust the front lower control arm into its normal position, and it would require a new part and installation. He said I could still drive the car safely, it just might have a tendency to veer a little in one direction when not being steered.

So my question is, should I fix spend several hundred dollars to fix this, or just let it be and keep an eye on it? Any thoughts, advice, ideas are welcome! I've uploaded the photo I was given to illustrate the issue.

Toyota Prius control arm issue.png

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this is not part of an oil change, or routine service, how many miles on her?

3. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think a wheel alignment was part of the service and that's how they found this issue, or maybe just part of a multi-point inspection. The car has about 57,000 miles.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i don't think so in either case. alignment check only if requested, or uneven tyre wear noted. i suspect a scam. have you noticed steering pull or tyre wear?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Right front: have you hit a curb??

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I rarely seen caster being adjusted and some you can’t even adjust, its usually camber and toe gets adjusted or there’s a Camber kits. Does it pull to one side when you step on the brakes? Are there worn ball joints, bad strut rod bushings, worn upper strut mounts or worn control arm bushings?

Was this car in an accident?

And caster doesn’t cause tire wear

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. Gene P

Gene P New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't actually noticed it veering toward the left or right when I don't steer. I haven't attempted to check while braking, I will look into that.

The car hasn't been in an accident, but I drive in the city and street park, so lots of parallel parking and relatively frequent hitting of the curb.

Mendel Leisk likes this.