1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Control Arm Replacement?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DylanC, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DylanC

DylanC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I purchased a 2001 w/86k this weekend and brought it into a shop (non-dealer) to check out. They said I bought a good one but said both front control arms and brushings need to be replaced. They said because they need to get the parts from the Toyota deale,r it's going to cost around $900 total.

The car seems to handle fine. Is this a repair that is common for Gen 1 Prius with this mileage? If so, can I have them install Moog control arms/brushings instead?

Thanks in advance. I'm so excited to get this baby home!

2. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    84K, Nah! Shouldn't be bad unless damaged.
    Go to a reputable alignment shop and have the front end alignment checked out, which should show it the lower control arms a damaged or worn.
    There there are only two things that can wear out on a control arm, the Ball Joint which is replaceable by it's self, easy job. Or the pair of bushings where it is mounted to the subframe member. These could be replace frollowing the Toyota procedure but would cost more in labor than new preplacements. I would expect these to be available as complete assemblies (less ball joint) on the after market. I purchase a used, low mileage Gen2 control arm on Ebay for about $50. and noticed that there were new after market ones being offered for about $100.

Look around if I find you need them replaced.

If you find that they really didn't need replacement, the good news, and remember never to go back the "that" non-dealer mechanic again. Can't be trusted.

My opinion, FWIW

Steve

3. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going back a rereading your OP I see you mention that the non-dealer was going to replace control arm bushings. The labor cost to remove the control arms and press out and in the new the bushing, then the re-install and front end alignment would be about $900. About half that cost could be saved by using after market new control arms which will have the new bushings installed.

Now I still don't think the would need replacement a 84K mile or evern 284 (whick my Gen1 had) unless that car was used on very rough back roads. That I doubt.

Steve

T.S. Elliot likes this.
  4. DylanC

DylanC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks Steve. I thought it was a little unusual to have to replace them this early. When I get new tires I'll see if the tire shop says anything about them during alignment.

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I smell a mechanic who needs to make a boat payment. (Or payment on his bushing press)

Get a 2nd opinion.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Robert V. Adger-Barton

Robert V. Adger-Barton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good afternoon all! I just got the oil changed in my 2012 Prius, with 60k miles on it and was told that there is problem with the drivers side front controller arm as well. He quoted me $400 to fix it. I was also told that I could drive it for 2-3 months still until it caused damage on something else. I've not noticed any warning signs or symptoms, so what should I be looking for to confirm this is an issue? He did mention that I would hear it knock a couple of times when I brake. I tried to replicate this by braking fast & slow, but have not heard anything.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take the car to an actual alignment shop. If they tell you you need new suspension parts, you pretty much must do both sides. I'm pretty doubtful, tho. Control arms with bushings & ball joints (1st gen) are available for less than $40 from Rockauto.com.

T'ain't anything special to work on. Probably 1 to 2 hours labor for a shop or a shadetree mechanic with the proper tools.

On a 2012, Robert, there's no way the front end components should be worn...you'd have to smack it pretty good to even damage them.

8. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Steve, I could believe that the control arm bushings are dried/rotted (as DylanC posts from salty Boston, and the mileage on the '01 is low - appx 6k/year). Had that happen with an '05 Freestyle; and yes, the most cost-effective procedure is aftermarket control arms with bushings (from a place like RockAuto), and a day in the driveway with tools, liquid wrench, and a buddy who understands cursive (the language spoken when attempting to loosen very rusty bolts).