1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting cargo area to sleep area

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Adam S., Mar 4, 2018.

1. Adam S.

Adam S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the Prius V instead of the regular Prius because of the extra room in head room in back. I wanted that extra area in back to be able to have somewhere to sleep when I go on surf trips. When I fold the seats I have to extend them, because I am 6' 1", and this leaves a big uncomfortable area that keeps me up twisting and turning all night. Does anybody know of a viable solution to this? whatever I put in that space doesn't do the trick

2. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Yep. I tested my V's sleeping space. I didn't extend the seats. I use self inflating sleeping pads. Try rolling up a yoga mat or cut up some foam blocks to fill the gap. My first time taking a nap in my car and my first to-buy list was fans. Battery powered fans. Don't use the 12v battery to power the fan because it can drain and may need to be jump started. I thought it would use the HV battery but it used the 12V.

priusv-sleep.jpg

3. cmargo10

cmargo10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi. I have a 2014 v 3 and I'm also interested in sleeping in it for camping. Every youtube video on Prius camping that I can find is on the regular car, not the v. I really can't take out any seats. I want to sleep on the 60 side of the split. The seats do not fold flat like the regular Prius. Is that bothersome when sleeping? If so, is there a work around? How is the gap filled? I would love to see photos with a deconstruction of anyone's v camping sleep build! Thanks.

SM-G930U ?

mstade likes this.
  4. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey you guys! I owned a 2012 v, and I loved camping in it, even with my boyfriend! I'm also 6'3.

What I did was, I extended the seats all the way forwards, then got a very thin piece rectangular of plywood and layeed across the gap. And of couse plenty of padding for a comfy bed!

6. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I used 2 layers of foam mats to keep the cargo area somewhat flattened. It's good not only to sleep in but to carry a large item on a more flatter surface. These I got from Costco but they also sell them in Oreily's and I'm sure other places.

BTW I use Clazzio for seat covers. They are pricey at $300+. But changes the feel of the entire interior and do not interfere with folding and keeping surface flat.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Aaron Vitolins and taxibuddy like this.
  7. cmargo10

cmargo10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That looks awesome! I love that foam idea and the seat covers

SM-G930U ?

PriusV17 likes this.
  8. li le