1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting the console for secure storage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mfa-prius, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'd like to have a spot for securing valuables in my Gen II Prius. I mean REALLY securing. What I've got in mind is building a new inner shell for the center console out of 1/4" steel, with a Medeco restricted-key lock, and covering it up to look like a stock console. If unlocked, the lid could be opened as with the stock console, to gain fast access to certain of the valuables I'd like to carry. When leaving the car, however, the lock would activate a vault-like mechanism, to restrict access to only those with a key or an oxycetalene torch and a lot of time on their hands.

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome. My current plan is to buy a console from a wreck to experiment with and go from there. A cursory review of console information leads me to believe there's a ton of circuitry and components for various Prius functions buried in there, which would have to stay, but I should be able to work around them. (?)

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds suspiciously like a gun safe to me... ;)

kenoarto likes this.
  3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love it. Can't wait to see the results. :)

4. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hey... great idea!

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, it's not. If you are transporting a weapon, you want to leave it unloaded and in the rear cargo area, where it is not accessible from the passenger compartment. Don't make a road rage incident waiting to happen a reality by having a weapon within reach.

kenoarto and krmcg like this.
  6. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Purpose aside, if anyone has any constructive comments, I'd welcome them.

7. NR427

NR427 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like someone could just take the whole console with them and open It later?

8. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not if it were mounted properly. Of course, they could take the whole car to a chop shop and get to it at their leisure, but they would first have to know the loot was there, and the loot itself would have to be far more valuable than anything I've got to put into it.

kenoarto likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many of us live in states where it is reasonable to get a license to legally carry it, in the passenger compartment, loaded.

What you 'want' will be quite different than what he wants and needs. Further discussion along that line will get this thread banished to FHoPol.

mfa-prius likes this.
  10. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius is a car, not a tank. Leave your jewels at home.

11. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not at all what you asked for, but somewhat on the topic: while you are experimenting, could you or someone tell me how to "repair" the console cup holder?

That first part that flips open to reveal the cup/container slot. Mine won't re-close. I feel a spring-y resistance but haven't figured out how to remove it.

12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1/4" Steel might be a little tough to work with, and it will double the metal content of your car.
    If it were me, I'd convert a small strong-box into your "not a g-word safe" by bolting it to the chassis through the existing console. You don't need a TRTL-60-Class cypher safe....you're just looking to slow them down a little.
    If you're handy with a welder and the final product doesn't wind up looking like something that you'd see on People of WalMart.....save the plans for people outside "The Sunshine State." ;)
    Good Luck!

Yeah. Tell me about it.
    Mention one of the "G-words" and you will quickly find out everything you need to know about post-modern "tolerance."
    GOD..
    Guns....
    GMO....
    Gasahol....
    Gee Dubbaya.... :D

milkman44 and mfa-prius like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about just using the secret compartment thats already under the console and no car thief could ever find anyway.

WilDavis and kenoarto like this.
  14. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure, but I believe there's too much stuff under the accessible console area to just drill holes and bolt something to the chassis. Not sure thre's any "chassis" structure under there anyway.
    "Handy" might be a little generous, but I have welded. I have also golfed, but that's another story. If this project works out as I hope, you won't be able to tell it's there, other than the the presence of the lockface. Even that might be concealed. Plans and pictures will be posted here. Don't hold your breath.
    I haven't found it either :(. Probably too small, and too hard to get to in a hurry -- you never know when you might need some jewelry.

15. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'll look into that today. For some reason, the forum's quote mechanism wouldn't quote your messge for me, so I had to improvise.

16. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good morning MFA,

I "borrowed" a couple pic's which hopefully will show up (haven't attached any image in this forum....).

This one shows the console without its front and rear attachments. Note the lower cavity = secret compartment!
    [​IMG]

This one is identical to mine, except for the color.
    [​IMG]
    The cup holder on left most of the photo is supposed to swivel up and shut.
    It doesn't anymore - so all my rings and earrings stay exposed. :whistle:

Anyone knows how to repair it?

17. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like you have to remove the front half somehow to get at the springy-thingy (technical term). I'll poke around in there when I get out of my jammies. Thanks for tipping me off to the secret compartment. It's too small for some of my jewels, and definitely not secure enough, but I'll find a use for it. I wonder if you pull the drawer out, can you see a way to unfasten the front half?

18. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only read of folks removing the whole ka-boodle (techie talk), as seen in pic. #1. I'd rather not if the repair or adjustment can be done w/o unbolting from the chassis.

It's minor. I can live w/ it. A dog or a swinging backpack may just knock it off... : (

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The cup holder pulls up and off. Grab the outer edges and pull straight up. I suspect you have something lodged in there to keep it from closing

kenoarto likes this.
  20. Fifine

Fifine Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - I' try it. Thanks.