1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Convex side mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by chikai, Jan 31, 2011.

1. chikai

chikai Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used to own a S2000 and purchased a set of LEVEL Blue Tinted Convex side mirrors. They made a world of difference in covering the blind spots on a small convertible. Plus it really reduced the glare off cars from behind.

I would love to see these on the Prius...has anyone come across any product similar or close to these?

[​IMG]

2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same here, my convex driver side mirror was sourced through Australia and the part was made in Japan. So I think all we need to do is find the JDM part number and see if someone is interested in importing them.

3. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used to have convex side mirrors on both sides on my Civic. Nice feature and make me wonder why those on US are not as convex? Is it because we have wider roads and no need for those or ppl just don't get used to smaller image?

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have a look below where it says 'Similar Threads'.

The European market Prius have the convex mirrors as standard (on the drivers side only). Not sure why but maybe some legal thing. You can probably order them from a friendly UK dealer (so no language issues) or maybe off ebay. Just make sure you double check that you get the convex mirror for the correct side - lhd or rhd market.

Whilst you're at it, what about the side mirrors with the turn signal built in? They're standard to the Japanese and Euro gen 3 Prius and look pretty cool too. Just a thought.

5. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I posted a thread a while back about this as well. GrumpyCabbie helped me out back then as well haha.

When I had my Scion, we were able to get APR to make a small set of replacement mirrors that were blue tinted and convex so maybe if there's enough interest (50+) then, we could possibly get something done by APR.

6. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A company called Multivex makes a neat set of mirrors that are pretty regular for the half closest to the window, then fall off to show you the lane next to you. I used them on my motorcycles for years. I see the Gen II is listed, not the Gen III models. You may want to check with them [email protected]

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is DOT decided you cannot have the convex mirror on the drivers side. The reasoning is with the convex mirrors the lazy US driver will never have to look back to the left to check traffic and causing dangerous situation when merging into traffic.

8. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^ That's the reason? What a lame excuse as the majority of drivers probably just look in the non-convex mirror anyways and switch lanes. At least a convex will give a little more field of view haha

9. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As a motorcyclist I can tell you most drivers are "lazy" when it comes to a headcheck (turning your head to see the lane next to you when you are going to make a lane change). I learned a long time ago that you look for the "head dip" because most will try to get a wider view with the mirror. You can tell motorcyclists (and other off-road types) because the will turn their head before making the lane change (contrary to Franco in "Gumball Rally," what is behind you should be of a concern!).

10. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    any luck with the blue convex mirrors ?

11. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model: