1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Cool weather and low tire pressure

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 23, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Fall 2018 Temperature Outlook Update: Many Will Have to Wait for Cooler Weather | The Weather Channel

Parts of the central Plains and mid-Mississippi Valley can expect temperatures near average or slightly cooler. The rest of the Lower 48 will likely experience near- or slightly above-average temperatures overall from September through November.

From the 80s we dropped to the 50s and sure enough, the Prius Prime low pressure light came on. So I pulled the 12V tire pressure pump out of the bag and it disassembled itself:
    [​IMG]
    I picked up all of the parts except for the fuse spring. Good this happened at home instead of in some remote area with a flat tire!

Firestone partially re-inflated the tires and I picked up a 12V plug and with a soldering iron, fixed it. A quick smoke test and tomorrow morning, I'll fully infate my tires. Yes, cold weather reduces mileage but not as much as under inflated tires, a by-product. It is also a good time to check your tire pump.

Bob Wilson

bisco likes this.
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A human powered bicycle pump is a much healthier way to ensure longevity of the driver's cardiovascular system. Humans bodies are like hybrid batteries... If you don't get out and drive 'em around everyday, they'll throw a warning light and repairs are really expensive.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 42/40, my light never comes on

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea, I bet your light never comes on...

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to the last year's ScanGauge-II update to read out TPMS data, I can see the pressures from the driver's seat every time I drive it. And yes, mine are also down several pounds with the colder weather too, though not enough for any alerts.
    And my manual bicycle pump recently disassembled itself too, with top bushing coming off the tube, allowing the whole piston / handle assembly to come out. It needed a very short screw to re-attach without poking through to the piston shaft. Fortunately, the big jar of scrap and leftover hardware had several screws that fit the task.

#5 fuzzy1, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    bwilson4web and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although I appreciate the manual pump suggestion, my understanding is a daily 20-30 minute exercise with heart rate +20% is the recommended exercise schedule. Unless I go to a shopping mall daily, it would be impractical. I would rather run after my wife's dogs.

Bob Wilson

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe instead, you could find a way to get your wife's dogs to run after you?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A manual pump assuredly does not constitute an exercise regimen, especially when it's something you might use once a month at most. Still, they're cheap and pretty reliable, and no need to hook up, 12 volt or grid.

fuzzy1 likes this.