1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant and Oil Dipstick Concerns

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sillylilwabbit, Dec 12, 2015.

1. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just purchased my new (to me) car a few days ago.

I happen to look under the hood today and notice the inverter coolant is low with a yellow check mark on the plastic bottle as if someone also noticed but didn't do anything about it.

I took this pic after an hour parked when I got home.

[​IMG]

Around the coolant bottle, I noticed some type of residue. To me, it looks like maybe some opened the coolant bottle and the coolant spilled outwards and created all the residue you see in the pic.

[​IMG]

The second concern I have is the dipstick. I can't tell where the oil falls. I had a German car previously, and it was obvious where the oil was in the dipstick. I see the 2 dots, but the oil residue I see looks like it goes way above the highest dot.

I don't know if you can see in the pic below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the coolant is supposed to be between the lines. i think you're good, but keep an eye on it.

the rule of thumb on the dipstick is, usually, you can see where the oil covers the whole stick, and where it begins to streak. it's not easy to see, i know that much.

sillylilwabbit likes this.
  3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very true. The actual level is easier to discern on the side of the dipstick facing toward the rear; the front side comes out hopelessly smeared.
    A tedious way to obtain a much less ambiguous indication is to
    1)remove the dipstick,
    2)wipe it clean,
    3)wait a bit for oil in the tube to run down,
    4)put the dipstick back only partially, a measured distance short of fully back,
    5)pull it out again,
    6)look for oil, and correct for the measured distance.
    For example, assuming the true level is slightly below the upper dot, and you "short-stick" it by a distance equal to the distance between the upper and lower dots, then the UNSMEARED (I promise!) oil at the bottom end of the dipstick will extend up to slightly below the lower dot. If the actual level is lower than in my example, you'd obviously have to use a different distance, in order to assure the dipstick does dip into the oil some short distance.
    7)Put it back all the way down as usual before closing the hood.

4. Jim T

Jim T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've seen some misinformation on checking coolant levels sprinkled about in other threads, so direct from the 2010 Prius manual:
    "The coolant level is satisfactory if it is between the "FULL" and "LOW" lines on the reservoir when the hybrid system is cold. If the level is on or below the "LOW" line, add coolant up to the "FULL" line."

So best time to check the level is first thing in the morning when completely cold. I also find that's the best time to check the oil level - just pull out carefully and check without wiping and reinserting. It helps to have a bright light and check both sides of the dipstick as noted above, you'll see the stick completely coated up to the top level where it breaks up and is only at the edges. It is challenging, especially with this thin 0W20 oil that stays looking like new between oil changes - something I'm definitely not used to in my German car with a turbo that runs hot and turns the oil nice and dark shortly after changing!

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you're still worried buy a bottle of Toyota "super long life coolant". The dealer parts person should know which one if you tell them it's for a Prius. Add coolant to whatever level you are comfortable with. The same coolant is used in the inverter circuit and the engine circuit.

DO ensure there is enough oil in the engine! There have been several people lately who have run their engines low on oil! Some Prius seem to consume oil. I have, in the past, used an "emery cloth" or sandpaper to scuff up the dipstick. It made it easier to see the oil. Haven't had to do it with the Prius yet. If you do this, make sure you clean the dipstick very well after. Don't want that abrasive in your oil!

6. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks all, I decided to wait until the following morning to recheck everything.

Seems the coolant is still in the same spot. I may keep just stop by the dealer and pick up some coolant for piece of mind as a "just incase".

[​IMG]

Regarding the oil dipstick, the oil was a little over 1/8" above the highest dot in the dipstick.

Now the concern is whether that is considered too much oil. I didn't take a pic of it because my hands were dirty and I didn't want to reach in my pocket to take the phone out. (Took the coolant pic before getting my hands dirty)

Also, does anyone know if it is ok the hose down the engine with water to get ride of some of the residue I see?

Note: I purchased my car from Carmax a few days ago and it had a Carmax sticker that they did the oil change.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1/8 inch over the top mark is OK.

I wouldn't recommend hosing the engine and orange high voltage hybrid electrical wiring down with water. ;) Leave it be.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1/8" over top mark on oil dipstick is trivial, wouldn't worry. The Prius dipstick is very hard to read; someone said it's due to the S-curve the tube goes through on the way down. I find invariably I can see the level a bit better on the underside, and again: there's a subtle transition, where it goes from smear along the edges, to a definite full-width coating. A trick to verify what you're looking for: push it in just to the plastic handle, not all the way. Then you can see that full-width point shift accordingly. Of course, revert to pushing it fully down for level check.

For the coolant, I found I needed to top up both reservoirs about 4 years and a bit after purchase. Just bite the bullet and buy the dang gallon of the proper pre-mix, top them up.

9. sillylilwabbit

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks guys for all your tips and information, it was very helpful!

Now I can relax ! :)

10. working1

working1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dipstick has 2 sides. I find that one side is easier to read than the other. Try flipping it over for what's worth and see if it makes a difference.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Jim T

Jim T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It takes very little coolant to go from L to F on the inverter reservoir. Your local Toyota will likely top up for no charge. When I noticed both coolant tanks low, I had my better (looking) half stop by Toyota service with an empty water bottle and they filled it with SLLC as a courtesy (she offered to pay). I wanted to fill them cold and didn't want a to store a gallon of coolant for 5 years until needing to top up again with just a few ounces.