1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant cap popped off but not CEL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Afonhabren, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Afonhabren

Afonhabren New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all, newbie here.

Just bought a used gen2 from a dealership here in Austin, have put less than 40 mi on the odometer (bought at ~110,000) and on my first drive I since bringing the vehicle home I heard air/liquid gurgling on the far passenger side when accelerating.

Let the engine cool overnight and popped the hood in the morning to find the coolant cap/hose had completely popped off and the pink coolant is well below the "low" level. I'm guessing it popped off under pressure (it's very tight when closed), and that whatever coolant the dealership filled has completely spilled out.

Everything else looks alright: no check engine light, no warning of overheating, serpentine belt has tension and isn't cracked, hoses look ok, no signs of head gasket leak (oil is clean at the dipstick and fill cap, though the dealership did do an oil change), and other than the gurgling it seems to drive with no issue. But when I idle the engine the serpentine belt sprays what smells like coolant everywhere. I have also noticed it seems to be dripping onto the floor from underneath the belt (not from the tank or radiator).

What gives? I've contacted the dealership, but radio silence. I'm a young woman alone in the city and I really don't want them to take me for a ride. It looks like I bought it with this issue and I hope they will take responsibility for the repair, I can't possibly Imagine what I could have done to it driving in town for less than 2 h.

#1 Afonhabren, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That sounds like a textbook example of a leaking waterpump. The gurgling sound is from air moving around in the cooling system. I don't know if there is more going on here. I would not drive the car- if it loses too much coolant then the engine will overheat and damage itself (who knows what shape its in already) . This should be completely on the dealer that sold you the car. I would have the car towed back to them and raise hell- very publically and loudly if needed.
    Do you know how to safely check the coolant level in the radiator when the engine is cold? (it's a metal cap on the black radiator, not the plastic cap on the white-ish plastic tank.)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

TMR-JWAP and SFO like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Texas 'used vehicle' lemon law is mostly nonexistent : Texas Lemon Law | TxDMV.gov

4. Afonhabren

Afonhabren New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You got it in one, engineer at the dealership just called to confirm this was the case. They paid for the tow, hopefully they will pay for the parts + labour too before I have to resort to name-and-shaming.
    I didn't bother checking the radiator level because it was haemorrhaging from everywhere, but good shout. Luckily no engine damage as I stopped pretty quickly after the gurgling. Lesson learned: listen to the engine and not the dealer!
    Thanks for your help.

5. Afonhabren

Afonhabren New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This ^
    Hoping they will be decent humans and cover it. Just glad I caught it early!