1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Control Valve replaced... no heat after replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by T T, Jan 2, 2020.

1. T T

T T New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My neightbor and I replaced the Coolant Control Valve after the check engine and triangle of "death" turned on. After replacing it, the check engine light remained on with code P1122 spitting out and now I have no heat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Air in system for sure. I had P1121 code when I first got my 2006 Prius. I changed out the same valve. With regard to getting air out. I would try the easy bleeding way first (IOW passive bleeding).

Make sure that you note that there are two coolant overflow tanks. One attached to the radiator and the second next to the inverter. What worked for me was the following. i. made sure radiator was filled to capacity when radiator cap was removed ( I did this only when motor was cold and off - replaced rad cap after filling rad to top); ii. made sure overflow jug next to radiator was filled with coolant to fill line; iii. started motor and turned on heat to MAX TEMP with low to medium fan; iv. went for a drive locally at moderate speeds say 25 to 45 mph WITH a gallon of Toyota coolant beside me along with a funnel; v. every 10 miles stopped (or sooner if the Prius got too hot) and checked the coolant level in overflow jug; vi. this was sorted out when the heater began to work and the overflow tank level no longer went down anymore. In order to not overheat motor while doing this I monitored the engine temp with Torque Pro app in combo with an OBD2 dongle.

#2 ydpplqbd, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  3. T T

T T New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was able to get it going. The computer needed to be re-set

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. cbird02

cbird02 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Can anyone tell me what is meant by IOW passive bleeding?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In other words, passive bleeding. He is stating that another term for what he described in the first part of the sentence is passive bleeding.

I'm not sure what he means by that other than letting what air that will come out on its own, come out.

cbird02 likes this.
  6. Fabiolado

Fabiolado New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have the same issue, did you resolve the code 1122,