1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant detected in exhaust

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Professor, Feb 23, 2023.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    So my Gen4 2017 Prius has been losing around 1/2 pint / 500ml of coolant per week since the new year.

I finally got it into the dealership today and they said they couldn't find any external leaks, but there is coolant in the exhaust.

They need to order in some equipment (to pressure test the cooling system) as they have doesn't fit the Gen4 Prius. So that's as far as they could take it today.

At first I figured this must be a head gasket gone, or worse, and to be honest I'm feeling pretty terrible about that prospect. But then I found this Technical Service Bulletin:

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2021/11/215475_Coolant_Leak.pdf

...and a couple of threads talking about the exhaust coolant heater loop often getting a leak:

Loss of coolant 2017 prius, headgasket?? | PriusChat
    low coolant, no leaks | PriusChat

Is there any way I can confirm (easily) myself whether it's the exhaust coolant heater loop or a head gasket (I have a snake camera if that's of any use)? I really need my car but I don't want to drive it too much if it has a blown head gasket. Other than losing coolant, would there by much risk to the vehicle if it is just a leak in the exhaust coolant heater loop?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s always the loop. Bring the tsb to the dealers attention, they can test.
    You won’t be the first person who had to explain it to the dealer, or even have Toyota explain it to them

#2 bisco, Feb 23, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 4th gen coolant leaks in exhaust heat recovery are much more likely; I don't think anyone's had a confirmed blown head gasket, at least not reported here. Gasket Masters has a hack, just switching a few hose connections, to bypass the exhaust heat recovery circuit; not sure how applicable it is to 4th gen. @ChapmanF has commented on that, saying that it's effective but rate of flow might be off, a flow restrictor might help.

The GM video is with a Lexus CT200h, but I think it's applicable to 4th gen Prius as well? FWIW:

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not like I'm a search engine, but I do recall reading about coolant leaks in the heat harvester on 4th generation cars. Stuck in my head because the Prius c also uses a heat harvester.

It doesn't matter whether it's leaking at a head gasket or an exhaust heat exchanger: the primary danger is losing enough coolant to overheat the engine.

If the loss rate is steady and slow enough that you can stay ahead of it, you can theoretically nurse it forever. Just fix it before the loss rate changes. It will, and there probably won't be any warning.

5. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks all. Not as worried about it now.

I'm checking the level daily, and it needs typing up maybe every few days to weekly, but it just needs a cup or so each time.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    GM, near beginning of video, mention:

4th gen Prius is similar issue (CT200h is used in video)
    not keeping up with top up, you run the risk of engine overheat
    risk to catalytic converter (presume then the exhaust heat recovery system is upstream of cc)

7. taxidriver50005

taxidriver50005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    This also happened to a friend of mine, just put a bypass on hoses going to exhaust. Cured his leak and also stopped it pouring steam out of exhaust. I was convinced it was blown head gasket.
    He's now done another 100,000 miles with no problems.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    @The Professor How many miles have you done? I think you are the first person from the UK who has reported this issue from what I have read.

It seems to be high mileage people so far. I have not done 20,000 miles yet and just had my 6 year service and MOT and all is well.

I will be interested to see how UK dealers sort your problem out. I think there was an initial supply problem with the US customers, but I think that has been sorted.

9. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I've done about 45,000 miles. Car was new in October 2017 so it's roughly 5.5 years old.

My dealership, so far, has handled the situation OK. I suspect it's fair to say that my dealership has never encountered this problem before on the Gen4, due to them needing to order in some equipment to pressure test it, as their existing equipment doesn't fit the Gen4 Prius. I didn't get to speak to the technician that worked on it yesterday, but they promised he would call this morning, which he did!

He seemed to have a good understanding of the problem. He said that as there's no visible external leaks so the leak is mostly likely internal. The vehicle isn't showing any symptoms of a head gasket failure (he mentioned there was no coolant in the oil, and no abnormally large plumes of smoke coming out of the exhaust, no knocking or strange sounds, or any other head gasket failure symptom other than the missing coolant). He said it's known that leaks can occur at a valve that controls the flow into the exhaust heat exchanger, or elsewhere in the exhaust coolant loop or heat exchanger area, which he'll test when the system to pressurise it arrives (although I couldn't get a booking until mid March anyway). He did open up some exhaust components in that area to look for coolant, and some liquid did come out, but the liquid was black not pink, so he can't be 100% sure it wasn't just (sooty?) water.

If it is the problem we think it is, it should be done under the extended 10 year warranty that Toyota give you (at least they do here in the UK) that you get if you have all services done at an authorised dealership. But, to make any warranty claim they have to prove to Toyota what's actually wrong by jumping through their diagnostic hoops, and hence the need for this piece of equipment.

Harters and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a sharp cookie, i like his approach

11. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    @The Professor Glad you dealership is sorting things out for you. The 10 year warranty is such a great thing, so glad we have it in the UK, thanks.

12. Glojazzbent

Glojazzbent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have any of you noticed a drop in mpg at all?
    Is it both reservoirs showing low?

Had a 2013, did all the work to replace head gasket to find bottom bearings going out.
    Decided to bite the bullet and take on a new car payment.
    Went with a 2017. Smelled coolant in cabin upon first drive home. Noticed both reservoirs low. Heater not getting warm. Found the bulletin on here -thanks guys- and against my better judgement headed to Toyota with 5 printed pages in hand. Still under their warranty period (62 months, 70k). Told me they tested it and nothing is wrong. Tried to charge me $160 for diagnostics until I raised hell.
    Considering taking it to a different one tomorrow.
    Love, love, love ma prius's.
    But it Toyota!
    Also my gen 3 got better mileage than this. Haven't seen 38 mpg since I drove my gen 2 with 360k.

13. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Car went in to the dealership today to get the fault verified (will be fixed on Friday).

Unfortunately, Toyota say that as it's part of the exhaust, it's not covered under the 10 year extended warranty. £1,500 to fix! Ouch!

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I thought a TSB carried some weight, as far as acknowledging a fault, fixing gratis? Not so much?? :confused:

something to keep in mind when next you’re shopping, though not sure the competition’s any different. (n)

15. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I showed them the TSB, but that's for the US market and there's no equivalent TSB for the UK. Worth trying to complain to head office?

Alas, while I love the Prius, and all the previous Toyota's I've owned, I probably won't be getting another Toyota. I wanted a Gen5 Prius, but Toyota decided not to market them in the UK. The CHR and Corolla don't quite feel right for me. I also found out today that my local dealership is closing in three months, and the next nearest Toyota dealership is uncomfortably far away.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think toyota is out engineering themselves, in competition with the germans

17. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    That's very disappointing to hear.

I did wonder if the TSB was US market only. You are the only UK person that I have heard who has suffered this so far, but I would definitely be writing a letter to Toyota Head Office and mention the US TSB and point them in this forum's direction.

Think if it were to happen to me I would get it repaired if I had no joy with goodwill as £1500 is much less than forking out for a new car.

Hope you get some kind of goodwill gesture.

18. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need to have the bypass installed by an independent. Should be less than $200 US mostly labor. All that system does is warm the engine a couple of minutes quicker.

Most of us know non dealer repairs are the only affordable Prius maintenance solution.

19. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They are trying to make hybrids compete with evs. Its a losing battle that already changed management.

20. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    sorry to hear about that; but I wouldn't let them fix it. I would just loop out the exhaust heat harvester for only a couple of #'s. The only effect is that the engine and passenger compartment will take a bit longer to warm-up.

Just my 2 cents or pence in your case....:whistle:

Since this is a know issue, not just on Toyotas - 3nd party parts suppliers will have a cost effective fix soon. I imagine it will consist of cutting out the current unit and welding-up replacement. Kind of like an aftermarket CAT.