1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant flow control valve replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Yakoma, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want to thank PriusChat and the members here once again for being such a sharing community. I wouldn't have/couldn't have done this without the great support here. I tackled this repair last weekend after getting P1116 and P1121 codes on my daughter's 2008. The stealership again tried to rip me off by determining that I required a new coolant canister ($850+ repair) rather than the Coolant Control Valve. Not trusting them to do ANY work on my car, I decided to do it myself.

Cost was ~$75 for the valve and ~$50 for 2 gals. of SLLC coolant. And about a day and a half of frequently distracted attention to the car. Codes are gone now and I'll be taking it in to get the emissions inspection today.

I'm not going to go through the entire recipe as there are very good posts here and YouTube videos that cover it in good detail. But here are the lessons I have to add to the experience if any are interested. If you are new to this repair, you should read the other posts otherwise mine will lack context and detail. This one was particularly useful.

1) If you are new to repairs on the Prius coolant system, understand that there are two distinct coolant circuits - the Engine circuit and the Inverter circuit. You will be working on the Engine circuit for this repair. The Inverter circuit (which includes the coolant reservoir on the driver's side of the engine should be left alone.

2) After considering doing the "pinch" method to preserve coolant, I realized that the coolant would need to be replaced in the next 10K miles anyway, so I just did a drain/replace instead. As noted in several posts/videos, it's a good idea to measure the amount of coolant drained so you know approximately how much needs to be replaced. It helps you keep your sanity after incrementally adding coolant and wondering "am I friggin' done yet?"

3) The Lisle funnel provides a lot of convenience and order to the repair by minimizing spillage and hassle. Invest in one. And the tubing to use is 3/16" internal diameter (ID), not 1/4' ID. I had to add a zip tie to my 1/4" tubing to keep it attached to the vent port.

4) Ditto for the Cable Hose Clamp Pliers!!! I'd still be working on it now (3 days later) if not for those pliers. Well worth the ~$30 I paid for them. And I'll use them again and again, I suspect.

5) Another key convenience was having the front end up on ramps (and the rear wheels chocked) so I had full access underneath. I recommend this if possible.

6) When draining the coolant, I used the Coolant Canister drain - rather convenient once exposed. I opened the radiator cap once the bulk of fluid had drained from the canister and this vent allowed more to drain out. I never opened the Overflow tank cap to avoid having that fill up. Others have noted this.

7) Before you start, you may want to go online and buy a dozen or so extra plastic fasteners used to attach the underside and under-hood cowlings. Guaranteed you will break some off extracting them and will need them later. They are a PITA. I bought a bunch of different sizes and just keep them in a plastic tackle box for regular use.

8) When disconnecting the Coolant Control Valve, unclamp the top two hoses from the valve first, then unclamp the bottom hose AT THE COOLANT TANK PORT. And then remove the valve from the engine compartment. This will save you from trying to unclamp the hose from the bottom of the valve while it's still in the engine compartment. Simply remove the valve, detach the dangling hose from the old valve and attach to the new valve, then shove the valve back into the engine compartment and reattach the hose to the tank port.

9) If/when you open the top vent port on the radiator - usually when refilling the fluid - be VERY careful when loosening/tightening. This thing is made of plastic and I broke the top of mine off by mistakenly loosening past the limit (it was open when I thought it was closed, dammit). Anyway, I was able to tighten down what was left of it by going up to a 1/4" allen wrench and it doesn't appear to leak now. I've since learned that I can replace this plastic port and O-ring (parts ~$9) so I'll be doing part of this exercise again soon to replace the port. In the meantime, it looks like it's holding for now. I didn't see any reference to these parts on PriusChat, so here they are if anyone out there has a Yakoma moment and has to replace them.

upload_2016-11-3_10-52-20.png

10) The relay jumper trick was key to getting the air out of the system on refill. As all have cautioned, run this pump for less than 30 seconds at a time before rest to avoid overheating the pump. Make sure you have the connector connected at the Coolant Canister. Ask how I know this. Here are a couple of videos that were helpful to me on the refill. They could be edited for length, but are still good - better than I've produced...which is nothing.

11) Be patient on the refill. I filled as much as I could without any tricks first. Then I opened the top vent with the 6mm allen wrench and added more. Then I did the relay-jump trick and added more. Then, when that stalled, I jiggled the radiator hose near the vent and added more. Then I put the car in Inspection mode and ran it for 30 min at a time and added a little more. I would turn the engine off and let it cool for 30-45 minutes and then add more. I probably did that 4 times. Each of these things resulted in additional (but marginally less and less) fluid entering and additional bubbles leaving the system. And then, when you think you're done, you can probably add a little more before each subsequent drive after cooldown. Even this morning, I added a couple of tablespoons of coolant to top it off after about 100 miles of driving this week.

12) Finally, the biggest pain I found was replacing the underside cowlings. This took me the better part of 2 hours upside down on the roller cart. Just figuring out the puzzle of how these clips and screws attach was challenging. Take your time and maybe even take pictures before you start to disassemble. It all went back together solidly finally but there was some copious cursing before victory was ultimately achieved.

Best of luck to anyone who decides to do this repair. It's time-consuming and a bit complicated, but I'm glad I did it. The actual part replacement is the dead simple part (assuming you have the cable hose clamp pliers) - it's all the preparation, refill and restoration that complicates things. Ping me if I can be of service.

Cheers,
    Randy

#1 Yakoma, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. tme

tme New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced mine on a 2009 Prius a couple of weeks ago.

I was able to replaced mine from the top. Likewise, there are many resources and tips, but here are a few things I wish I knew, so here they are, hope it would be useful to some. I'm not a mechanics, so these are just my personal belief and experience so use your own discretion:
    1. If you clamp the hoses, clamp all three before you start unplugging them. They are all inter-connected through the control valve! When one hose get unplugged, coolant would leak from the coolant control valve.
    2. I couldn't spend that $40 on hose clamp pliers. The point was saving money, no? It wasn't that difficult to use regular pliers.
    3. If space is tight getting the new valve in, you can unscrew the mounting bracket, and screw it back in after you lower the valve.
    4. I spent less than two hours replacing the control valve, but spend the rest of the day refilling coolant. You'll find lots of videos on youtube, including ones with fancy vacuum based refilling tools. Shops need to get it done in an hour, but if you got a weekend, you can get it done with few tools. Here's my experience:
      1. Inverter coolant is completely separate from the radiator. So, no worry. The radiator is not that different from any other cars.
      2. Fill as much coolant as you can through the radiator cap, NOT the reservoir!!!!! You can try the jumping water pump relay trick, but I didn't find it helpful, because the thermostat is closed when the coolant is cold. So, you're just swishing the remaining coolant around the engine block, and you're filling through radiator... they aren't even connected at this point!
      3. To connect radiator to the engine, you need to run the engine until it is hot enough to open the thermostat, that's when coolant circulates into the radiator. There's more than one video on that. You also set cabin heater to the highest temperature (not necessarily the fan speed) so coolant would circulate around the cabin heater core; there could also be air there.
      4. Don't bother the top vent port trick. Didn't do a thing. I did get a 3/8" (inner diameter) tube. Coolant and air bubble came out. Of course it did, the coolant was being pumped. Don't even bother jacking up the left side. The most important thing is keep the thermostat open and cabin heater core open by running the engine and heater.
      5. Here's the most important part on how coolant is drawn from the reservoir into the radiator. I couldn't find anything on the Internet. I figured this out studying the schematic diagram. I could be wrong, so you let me know! When the coolant was hot, it expanded, pressuring the radiator. When it gets hot enough, it forces air out of the radiator and into the reservoir, through a tube near the radiator cap to the bottom of the reservoir. The reservoir is not pressurized. Once the coolant cools down over a few hours, partial vacuum is formed in the radiator, and this vacuum sucks up coolant from the reservoir. The system expels air and draws in coolant. In another word, it refills itself, but only very slowly through each heating and cooling cycles, and one sip at a time. It is NOT able to draw coolant from the reservoir to fill an empty radiator. So, don't expect to see reservoir level going down immediately.
    Lastly, thanks to all those online forums and videos. Thanks to Al Gore for inventing the Internet. I didn't bother reading the check engine light code. I've been hearing the pumping noise and figured out it was the coolant control valve. A year later check engine light came on. Ordered the valve on Amazon, and a gallon of SLLC from dealer. Oh, after you replaced the valve, the light doesn't go away immediately. The user's manual says it may take up to 40 engine start cycles to clear the check engine light. After a week, it went off, no more pumping sound. I still hear air swishing around when you turn on the heater after trying my best to get the air out. After a couple of days, it went away, as all the air made its way to the top, and expelled. So, be sure to topped off the reservoir level first thing in the morning every few days for the following week.

Cheers.....

donbright, Yosarian and Prius_Angie like this.
  3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well done with minimal resources! A few notes:

I think they are connected through the bottom hose and gravity.

The top radiator vent was very useful to me in getting the last couple of ounces into the radiator to finish the job.

I agree, that's pretty much the critical point, careful monitoring over time. The other "tricks" are useful, though.

Yosarian likes this.