1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant flush

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by priusde, Apr 9, 2016.

1. priusde

priusde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know Nuts about Bolts has a video for coolant exchange but am wanting to do a flush. Where exactly is the thermostat to remove/replace? Is there a petcock to completely drain the radiator.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @NutzAboutBolts does show the radiator petcock in the video.

I don't think a "flush" is warranted, unless there's some contaminant in there. What would you use for a flush, water? This has ramifications, if you finish off by just refilling with pre-mixed Toyota coolant, it's going to be a bit diluted by the residual water. Also, what are you doing with the flush water? Running it down the street to the nearest storm drain? :(

One thing not mentioned in the video is the engine block drain bolt, around the back of the engine. I suspect you'd want to remove the cowl first, for better access. NutzAboutBolts has video on that too, lol: the spark plug video. Apparently not much fluid comes out, may not be worth it.

Someone else here disconnected a coolant hose at the exhaust (exhaust heat is used to speed coolant warm up), and drained a fair bit of coolant there.

3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In for the answer, diagrams, directions.

Disregarding the pre-mix coolant ratio, on other cars multiple drain and refills can be done without removing thermostat.

Get car to operating temp. Open drain plug on radiator, drain into containers, close plug. Refill with distilled water. Watch for air bubbles that may be introduced. Bring to op temp again (this opens the thermo). Then redrain. Repeat until water runs clear. Then drain and refill with proper coolant and ratio. I do not know if there are special considerations for a Prius, hence in for the answer!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    AFAIK you can only buy the Toyota spec'd coolant pre-mixed. So once you flush with straight water, and fill, you will end up with slightly over-diluted.

Here's info on the thermostat:

Attached Files:

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I swapped the fluid in my Prius at 85,000 and the fluid that came out was very clear. I even ran about a quart through a coffee filter, but the only gunk it caught were a few floaties that fell into my drain basin from being underneath my car.

This isn't the old days where radiator fluid turns brown and gets full of metal.

6. priusde

priusde Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have a pretty bad head gasket leak so had wanted to flush the system before trying a liquid sealer. Dealer quoted 3k for repair, independent around 2K. I wasn't going to do that as an engine swap with lower mileage would probably be cheaper (mine has 229k on the clock).

Car would start blow tons of vapor at the exhaust and expansion tank (cap off) and die quickly. Pulled the thermostat and poured n the sealer through the radiator hose late afternoon...diagram helped lots. Had Engine and Hybrid Control codes (see other thread) which I reset before starting the engine in maintenance mode. Car didn't die, idling rough at first but then smoothed out. Let it continue to idle for about half an hour, let it cool down and idled again for another 30 mins, again in maint mode. Car never died and coolant didn't pressurize out from the reservoir though I still have vapor from the exhaust. Will let it sit overnight, as is recommended, and update later.

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How many miles on the car? Those sealers can be nasty?

Sorry -- just saw the miles.

Good luck

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't suppose you thought of replacing the head gasket? Oh well... you poured in the sealer gunk, so let's see if it works. It's a lot less work, that's for sure.

I wonder how many of us Gen III Prius owners will still own our cars when the engine rebuild days come. It's really funny how I bought my 2010 and then 2012, and the discussions were totally different than the Gen II discussions. And these days... what Gen IV owner cares about transaxle and brake fluid replacement? They're writing about dash rattles and why the DRL's come on at the same time as the parking lights. It's kinda funny.

anonymous likes this.