1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Heat Storage outlet busted, Redneck fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crockettor, Aug 31, 2013.

?
  1. Go for the cheap fix! You can always replace it later if there are problems.

100.0%
  2. Spend the bucks and get something worry free.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The drain side of the plastic inlet/outlet for the coolant heat storage tank is scuffed, as seen in the picture (the other pic is a non-damaged one on eBay). The tank is dented, but does not leak. The side of the plastic that is worn off is only for the drain, I believe. I don't think that the plastic outlet can be replaced. Strange since it's bolted on, but I can't remove it either. I've searched parts online and the usual OEM Toyota parts sites and found nothing. A call to the dealer says they can only order the entire tank assembly for $1100.

I know I can get a used tank for around $400, but a $5 fix is more attractive for now. I'm thinking I can get a rubber plug and wedge it in there, or have a shop tap some threads for a metal or plastic plug. Another more redneck option is to simply seal the hole with epoxy. My question is, what are the possible negative implications from these ideas? The epoxy may crack or leak over time, and it would seal the drain, but if I needed to drain it I could just remove the outlet hose. Is this seal cock used to bleed the coolant lines?

Fist post, go easy on me. A little background: I just bought this 2007 Gen2 from a salvage auto auction with 60k miles. Although it was listed as "runs and drives", that was not the case, which I knew. The car was hit on the drivers front bumper and tire. The tire was shredded, I could tell from the pics that the tie rod was busted since the wheels were visibly way out of alignment. It's now sitting in my driveway and I'm ready to throw about $250 in suspension parts at it: a control arm, strut, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar link, and fender liner. It starts and runs fine, though it seems louder than it should.

I wouldn't call myself a mechanic, exactly, but I like to tinker and have restored some old pickups. I always service my own vehicles as much as possible. I got this car as a short project to replace my xb with 200k miles.
    I welcome your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I to have done some salvaged Prius's. Doesn't make sense monetarily to buy new, but that just me. From what I understand the Euros Prii's don't have the coolant tank. I have been running without one for 40,000 miles, as I do not want to drop $400 to $500 on a thermos bottle so I bypassed it. The light does come on and off, and yes this is annoying, but having 400 in my pocket makes me feel good.

crockettor and Andyprius1 like this.
  3. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, thanks for the 3rd option. Did you just use a small piece of plastic line to couple the hoses to? Do you remember the size? What did you do with the pump and wiring? Did you notice any MPG or other difference without the tank? I could deal with the light coming on.

4. Savedprius

Savedprius "just cut it"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No don't remember the size. Standard fitting at the parts store. I think my only marginal loss in mpg would be the brief moment it has to heat back up. But, if it hadn't been driven in a couple of days it would half to do the warm up anyway. They claim it has better exhaust gases during the warm up. But again, if the coolant has cooled in the tank you are going to heat it up anyway and thus no difference during those times.

crockettor likes this.
  5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The coolant tank only affects warm up, during periods of short trips. The hot coolant is stored after shut down, and is reused to warm the engine at the next start. That means that there will be a shorter period where the engine runs just to get itself up to the proper temp for minimum emissions. If you only take fewer and longer trips, and don't live where it is cold (northern states winter type of cold), then bypassing the tank will not have much impact on MPG. You will have some DTC set relating to the pump and valve actions, but they won't keep the car from running normally.

That said, getting used to having the warning light on will perhaps deflect your attention from a subsequent situation where a different fault occurs, and needs attention.

I would be tempted to thread a plastic nipple into the hole and JB Weld it together before bypassing it.

(Put your location in your profile for better future advice.)

crockettor likes this.
  6. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'm a big fan of JB Weld. I'm in Oregon. Location added. As far as my typical driving goes, I normally commute about 12 miles each way every day.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is true the UK/European Prius does not have the thermos tank and all that goes with it "coolant control valve, and pump etc.
    I fail to see the logic in the US system as when all the extra coolant goes cold it must take more energy to re heat it taking longer to warm up.
    Add the high cost of the extra components and the problems those components bring when they fail, I am happy we do not get these complications.

John (Britprius)

crockettor likes this.
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should have added to my post above that looks an easy repair and considering the cost to replace even SH I would repair it.

John (Britprius)

crockettor likes this.