1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Heat Storage Pump Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ShaneBacon, Jun 29, 2018.

1. ShaneBacon

ShaneBacon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was recently drove into a dirt embankment with my 2008 Prius with 207,000 miles on it. The car was hit hardest on the driver side which pushed the heat storage tank for the inverter coolant out of place, denting up the tank itself and mangling the mount which held it in place. I had to pull the radiator to straighten the mount for the radiator and replace the heat storage tank and mount. Because I pulled the radiator, I had to refill all of the coolant.

At first the pump sounded like it would run dry for a bit and then return to the normal noise as it gets coolant flowing. I figured this was normal as air bled from the system. However, after driving 500 more miles, this noise has persisted and become slightly worse when parking on inclines. I’ve been checking the coolant level regularly and it has been topped off. I’m not getting any error codes, but it really does not sound good for the pump to be running dry and it is not a sound the car ever made before.

Maybe I missed a step when replacing the tank? Was I supposed to prime the tank with coolant?
    Is there and issue with pump?
    Or is there something else I’m missing?

I can attach a video if needed.

Thanks in advanced!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The CHRS is not for the inverter, it is part of the ICE coolant loop. Make sure you are checking the correct tanks, i. e. the radiator and the over flow tank. More important to check the actual radiator until you are sure there is no air left in the system. You can run the CHRS pump by using techstream or by supplying power directly to the relay (in short bursts) that switches power to the pump. Search for Patrick Wong's excellent post on replacing the ICE coolant and bleeding the air out of the system, which includes information about running the CHRS pump in shorts bursts.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The coolant heat recovery system canister is for the engine coolant system, not the inverter/transaxle coolant system.

Yes. Pls see my posts #22 and #42 here: Changing engine coolant | Page 2 | PriusChat

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. ShaneBacon

ShaneBacon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, thanks for the help! I added a bit more coolant into the radiator and the noise has almost gone now.

Raytheeagle likes this.