1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Heat Storage Tank and Pump Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Aug 3, 2018.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The coolant is good for 100k miles (per the owner's manual), there's really no reason to touch it right now.

I normally just drain the radiator when changing my coolant, that will require about 1 gallon of coolant to fill. I don't drain the thermos pump. There's very little air to bleed if you just do the radiator. and I repeat every 30,000 miles. But I don't start this routine until I get to 100k miles.

2. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, interesting - I was under impression that the engine coolant should be changed at 100k and that draining only the radiator was not sufficient. Anyone else have any opinions?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are correct, it is 100k, I did an edit. My memory is failing me.

The refill super long life coolant is good for 50k miles. But since I'm only draining the radiator, I repeat at 30k miles.

4. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone else have an opinion about draining only from the radiator? Also, if I should replace the tank and pump when I do the coolant change - I'm still leaning this way as I already purchased a used tank/pump unit. Lastly - how about access to the tank/pump if I do end up replacing?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Draining from the CHRS canister drain will result in a more thorough drain. Leave the radiator cap on, and the coolant in the overflow reservoir will also get sucked out due to vacuum.

2. Might as well replace the dented canister since you bought a replacement.

3. I don’t know how hard it is to replace the canister, but that should become apparent after you remove the LF tire and the front of the fender liner for access.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the repair manual instruction. The last step says to "perform initialization" and references another page. I checked that page it's appears to be just the steps you need to take whenever disconnecting/reconnecting the 12 volt battery.

Attached Files:

7. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm reading through the long thread on replacing the engine coolant - seems like disconnecting the 12V is not really necessary. I'll likely post a few questions in that thread shortly. Facing the front of the car, is the pump attached to the CHRS tank on the left or the right?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two