1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Heat Storage Tank (CHS) Pump making Noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RunnerCNY, Feb 28, 2014.

1. RunnerCNY

RunnerCNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm getting a noise that sounds like "woooooooooo" from the right front of the engine compartment when the outside temp gets below about 20F and I just start the car. The colder it gets, the longer the noise lasts.

I suspect it's the pump that's part of the CHS. Just a very wild guess. The noise goes away when the car starts to warm up. No drive ability problems.

Has anyone else experienced this noise? I live in central NY and winters are very cold. The noise is definably temperature related and occurs whether the car is still or moving (engine on). I have a 2005 with 175K miles. The dealer checked out the car after it sat overnight in frigid temperatures. Didn't see a problem and said it's an old car and noisy at start up.

2. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My CHS pump only runs briefly when putting the car into READY mode or turning the car off. It runs for about 5 seconds and thats it. It does not continue running when the car is running/moving.

I wonder if you are hearing your inverter coolant pump? Maybe its getting noisy/going bad? That runs all of the time, and when operating normally it sounds like an aquarium air pump... very light humming.

Have you checked all of your coolant levels including the inverter cooling circuit?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. RunnerCNY

RunnerCNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've positively determined that the wooooo noise is from the tension pulley for the water pump belt. It's a very small pulley on the passenger side of the engine. It was cold this morning, so I started the engine with the hood up and used a long stick to isolate the noise. Now the question is whether I should replace the pulley since it only makes noise at start up after a very cold night.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is it possible that the noise is coming from the serpentine belt being slightly loose, and slipping at the pulley?

I would suggest replacing the pulley and the serpentine belt when ambient temps warm up enough so that working on the car is not like being in an arctic survival adventure.

6. RunnerCNY

RunnerCNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the belt changed so it has to be the pulley. If it doesn't make noise in warm weather, should I replace the pulley. It's about a $50 part.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I personally would eventually replace the pulley if the intent is to keep the car for another few years.

8. RunnerCNY

RunnerCNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'll do it when the weather gets warmer. It's March 16 and 15 degrees tonight.

9. RunnerCNY

RunnerCNY Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I tried to get the old tension pulley out and couldn't. Eventually, I could move it up and down to tighten and loosen the belt. I think it's rusted into the slot and won't slide out. It may require an impact hammer. Any suggestions?

10. socaldano

socaldano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    soak where it attaches with WD40.
    If you can safely get to where it connects, heat it with a torch (like you use to sweat pipes)..
    Last month I was trying to get some corroded bolts out of the holes in car frame. Banged on them for an hour, no success.
    Heated them with a little propane torch, and one tap....pinnnnnnngggggg

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't understand this comment.

If you can move the pulley up and down, then you have loosened the large nut on the pulley, and you have loosened the bolt that provides tension on the serpentine belt. Fully remove the pulley nut so that the pulley can be removed and replaced.

Look at the new part as that may give you a further clue about how to remove the old part.