1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Leak - Coolant Heat Storage Tank Pump

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Monica Prius, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Monica Prius

Monica Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2009 Prius has been overheating and losing a LOT of coolant. I put a dye in the radiator to help locate the leak. I located the leak under the car next to the fuel filter. It looks like some sort of pump; however, I know Gen 2 Prius have four pumps. This pump in located next to the fuel filter. Attached are a couple of pictures of the leak. Could someone please tell me the name of the pump which is leaking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    Coolant Heat Storage Pump 1.JPG COOLANT PIC PIC 2.JPG

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The 2G Prius has a fuel filter within the fuel tank which is not separately replaceable. There is no fuel filter in the engine compartment (at least not one that is original equipment.)

2. The photos that you have posted are of the bottom of the air conditioner compressor.

3. The engine coolant pump is located above the AC compressor and it is likely that pump is leaking fluid onto the AC compressor. See my thread here:
    How to replace engine coolant pump and thermostat | PriusChat

4. By the way, the green coolant installed in your car is incorrect; the correct coolant is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant which has a pink color.

JasonATX and TomB985 like this.