1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant lights post recall repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LC39B, Mar 19, 2013.

1. LC39B

LC39B Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Guys, Well we had the recall on both water pumps performed on our 08 prius with 118,000 miles on it and now we are still getting the codes. My daughter brought the car in to the dealer who said the codes were old and he is not worried about them but thinks that the radiator oring in the cap is bad (my daughters words) and they would have to drain the system, pressure check and replace whatever is bad, the troubleshooting part is $120 to start. When we got the car back originally I checked the forum and found where some of the cars were coming backl after then recall low on fluid, I checked it and ended up adding fluid and the light did not come on again for about 2 months. I am guessing if the radiator cap is bad that I would loose fluid and I could check the cap at discount auto and even put new one on. Do You think it is worth paying the dealer for this or is it just a money maker for a new radiator cap? thanks - John

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What codes are you talking about?
    2. If you believe that the radiator cap is bad, why not replace it rather than worry about it or pay for the system to be tested? Certainly the price of a new cap is minor compared to the alternative of having the system tested.
    3. If you are going to replace the cap, buy the correct part at a Toyota dealer parts counter. Do not use an aftermarket brand which might or might not fit correctly.
    4. If you still have fluid loss after replacing the cap, then have the system tested for a leak. Good luck.

[email protected] likes this.