1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant loss but no water pump leak

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by MoriD, Dec 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MoriD

MoriD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My Prius 2002 w/180k recently had a coolant loss problem since this Tuesday. The overheating light was on and I checked it’s out of coolant so I just drove to the closest autozone to get a 50/50(I read 60/40 is better but I think no one carries that). And the next day it’s empty again. I did a oil change(it’s about the time) and didn’t see any obvious leak. I had A/C on run for about one hour and still didn’t see any obvious leak. There’s no warning lights on. I tried to search and see some said the system problem maybe? Or the weather change? And this morning(one day after oil change, I know nothing to do with this) I checked coolant loss is better at least not empty but still loss 2/3 of the coolant.
    I did drive round trip from LA to SF in summer and you know how SF hills are like..ABS light was on one time when I had to keep braking uphill. And SF summer was like the coldest winter I ever experienced. I don’t know if there’s anything related to that. But I’ve been back for two months already. (つД`)ノ
    Also I do live uphill, it’s cold recently but still not like SF summer cold. My gas runs pretty fast also, it shows avg 45.9mpg but I could tell it consumes faster.
    FYI, I had water pump and thermo gasket replaced one year ago. I heard should be good up to 60k driving, n apparently I didn’t drive that much thruout the year.

I’m new and try to learn more, because I’ve been overcharged for some services I actually do not need. I was trying to be prepared before I bring the car to repair this time. Please let me know if you have any ideas or suggest what should I read

2. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    IMO your first step would be to check the engine oil for "milky" film indicating a bad head gasket.
    If no film second step, refill and then pressure test the system and see if you can find the leak.
    (This is really easy just don't over pressurize the system.)
    Unfortunately, the next step would be a compression and leak down tests to the engine.
    (Not easy as requires spark plug removal.)
    Here you may find a bad head gasket and the coolant is going into the engine and out the exhaust.

Not sure if you have the specialized tools available to DIY this.
    All are easy tests if you know your way around nuts and bolts and if you have the tools.
    Good luck.

3. MoriD

MoriD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you so much for the information!!!
    It scares me a lil...because sounds like that’s why keep having coolant loss(´;ω;`) I’m praying it’s not...did some research and the labor costs scared me
    I don’t think I’m equipped and enough knowledgeable to DIY but at least I get the general ideas so that they won’t fool me for extra services lol

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was amazed that a Prius Prime had blown a head gasket already, so I clicked on the link to this right away when I saw it.

I suggest you click the “Report” button and ask a moderator to move it to Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting. Get it in front of your fellow Gen 2owners.

As for the actual coolant problem, if it's not leaking externally, then it’s leaking internally. That’s usually a blown head gasket, which is pretty bad new unless you’re up for some seriously involved repairs. See Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k | PriusChat for a great writeup.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jerrymildred likes this.
  6. MoriD

MoriD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Oops sorry, I was writing from my phone and I thought I write under the right sub.

I’m at the dealer now, there’s no leak been observed so far and none of the warning lights were on. They are testing with long life coolant now to see any new findings. They said could be when I fill the coolant I bought from autozone(green fuild) mixed w/ the pink(long life). because I’ve been having the cars for yrs n the last time I refilled is normal 50/50. I’ll see, just wishing not gasket thing. I’ve been browser related posts the entire afternoon and also keep checking how much would it be if I sell as a junk car.
    No news is good news now. Just wishing it’s just my boy being naughty at winter time(๑•̀ω•́)و✧

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. MoriD

MoriD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you; ) I was writing from my phone browser, I thought it was right. Probably should download the app later today

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, it's really hard to catch all the details on mobile versions and small screens. I can empathize.

I really hope it's not the head gasket. I'd be interested to know the theory behind the dealer's thoughts on the green stuff causing coolant loss with a good gasket and no external leaks. Please keep us posted on the results. All these experiences add to the already amazing wealth of information on this site. Good luck!

Thanks! (y)

9. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have to add coolant and need it now, Dexcool (Prestone orange) is an okay alternative. Or distilled water.When you get this resolved, you'll need to do a cooling system flush to get all the green crap out.

Now some questions, any sign of coolant in the motor oil? Any sign of coolant out the tailpipe--might be just white smoke that doesn't smell like oil. Any wetness of the interior carpet or smell of coolant. Are you sure your coolant reservoir isn't leaking. Do you park on pavement? No wet spots?

I guess before I did a leakdown (complicated and spendy) or a compression test (don't know what either of these would prove,) I'd have the system either vacuum or pressure tested. A shop with an Airlift vacuum tool could do a vacuum test---bring it to 23 inches of vac. and see if it holds. A place like Midas muffler could do a pressure test. In the meantime, head to Walmart and buy 5 gallons of distilled water and keep it topped off and alive.

From my experience (not vast) with Gen 1 Pri's, I would be very surprised (shocked even) if it came up as a blown head gasket. These are amazing, tough little cars.

10. MoriD

MoriD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    *hi there, for anyone might concerned,

It turns out nothing was detected, it works fine with dealer’s test. It might be a winter thing(?) for this sensitive boy. Well I guess. A week from then, it drives like normal now.

Again thanks for all the replies.

11. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I've ever seen a Gen1 blow a head gasket. The radiators are usually what leaks.

Check for leakage on the radiator and/or have the cooling system pressure tested. New radiator is not cheap, it comes with integrated AC/condensor and you have to evacuate then recharge the AC system when you replace the radiator. Make sure you use a shop that knows what they are doing.