1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant loss, leaking head gasket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Whattheprius, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello all! I need advice for my 2010 Prius. I searched for this topic but to no avail.
    The ICE motor is losing coolant. The CEL stays on and occasionally flashes at me at high RPMs. I suspect a leaking head gasket. Upon inspection of oil cap and dip stick there does seem to be some cream in there. I stumbled upon some leak fix liquids that can be poured into coolant to seal leaks. The one I was thinking of using is called kseal.
    Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts, concerns?
    Thanks everyone!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! just curious, how many miles on her?

3. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  4. evallded

evallded Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have ever overheated it than a leak in your coolant system is a good possibility. I would never recommend using one of those "instant fixes" unless you are just looking to get your last 10000 miles out of it. THese gunk up the system so bad, and taking a chance on water in your oil is not worth it as you can add serious wear to your components. Take the time, do it right.

amos, danlatu and Robert Holt like this.
  5. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The engine has not overheated.

6. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anyone have experience with kseal or something similar?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My thought is the check engine light is coming on because the oil pump is having a hard time pumping the "cream".

My concern is driving around with that stuff in your oil will quickly make the decision for you on what you need to do.

And the previous poster suggested overheat becasue really that's one of things that takes out a head gasket. The egr blockage issue causes very high head temp. Dont bother with the liquid
    fix in a bottle. You most likely have a warped head. Either take the head off send it to a shop to check it and deck it or buy another motor.
    I would buy a used motor it will be cheaper.

m.wynn, amos and Robert Holt like this.
  8. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base

m.wynn likes this.
  9. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I failed to mention that I have a engine misfiring issue. I suspected the the EGR and cleaned that best I could. It improved the misfire issue a little. Also changing to higher octane gas seems to help. However, misfire is still present. With the coolant loss I’m suspecting it’s leaking into the motor? Any input would be much appreciated.

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What in the egr circuit did you clean? What was the condition prior to cleaning?

Mendel Leisk and m.wynn like this.
  11. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The pipe and manifold best I could. It was super dirty and full of crap. I was already having misfire and CEL prior to cleaning.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The coolant is likely leaking into at least one cylinder which in turn is causing the spark/misfire issue. If you pull the plugs it should be obvious which cylinder is compromised.
    If you would be paying a shop to do the repair , compare the head gasket replacement cost to replacing the motor with a low mileage salvage unit.
    Head gasket repair compounds get very mixed reviews, I have not personally ever tried one but please let us know your result if you try this route.

13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’ll have more work ahead;).

What needs to be clean is the egr cooler, egr valve and ensure the openings from the egr return into the intake manifold are clear. If one of these is not clear, the problem continues :(.

It sounds like all the symptoms of a failed head gasket though. Are you the DIY type? Does your Prius consume oil?

Keep us posted (y).

amos, m.wynn, edthefox5 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I do most of work myself. Oil levels are good. Honestly though, the EGR is a PITA. I was hoping to clean the whole system when I went in there but the manifold didn’t make much sense to me. Never mind the cooler. How do you even get in there?? I’m on the fence about using the kseal. It may be a last ditch attempt to save the motor. Otherwise it’s going on Craigslist. If I do use kseal I will definitely post my results for everyone here. Thanks for everyone’s input so far!

15. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had head gaskets blow out, and my recollection is that when they blew from a water channel to the combustion chamber, the result was a misfire and a whitish, fluffy type of coating on the center electrode of the sparkplug for,that particular cylinder. When the gasket between the water channel and the oil channel blows, there is no misfire but the water is frothed up with its load of antifreeze inside the oil system, resulting in the creamy foam on the oil filler cap, possibly the oil dipstick, (and, in the old days, on the oil breather cap.). Therefore my opinion is that you had the head gasket blown both to a combustion chamber and to the oil system.
    If you have serious engine skills , and a lot of time , and an engine hoist, and a machine shop that will mill down the head to be absolutely flat again, and the block itself is not unduly warped, you could DIY fairly cheaply assuming too much damage has not already been done. But buying a used engine to transplant into your car as suggested by others , is much , much easier.
    If you can borrow a Scangauge II, use it to watch the ICE coolant temperature. My Gen 3 runs at 195-198 degrees Fahrenheit when fully warm. If the gasket is blown to the combustion chamber, you may see temps higher than that. You may also see odd contaminants appearing in the coolant reservoir. Good luck!

danlatu likes this.
  16. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The stuff under the oil cap is kinda like peanut butter.
    I put to much time and money into this car already. Probably won’t be doing anything major. The reservoir tank seems to be seeping coolant around the top seam of reservoir. I may replace that. Thinking of still trying the kseal. Maybe that will fix reservoir and internal leaking.
    Will post results if I do that.

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    @Joele3 has used a similar seal recently and might be able to share his experience thus far(y).

Whattheprius likes this.
  18. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Ray!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My pleasure ;).

If you’re thinking of DIY and want to do the head gasket while the engine is in place, @leeb18c just did that :).

Hope that helps (y).

20. Whattheprius

Whattheprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Ray!I talked to Joel. Thinking I’m gonna try the kseal. Will keep y’all posted. Thanks everyone!

Raytheeagle likes this.