1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Low : Both Engine + Inverter : Few Questions !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Pooka, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Pooka

Pooka TIFOSO

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    40K Miles in about 20 months.

Both the Engine and Inverter Coolant are at the Low Level Mark.

a) Checked for leaks (Pink Crystals etc.) - nothing found.
    b) AFAIK my VIN is after the coolant plug TSB.

Now:
    a) Is this normal ?
    b) My understanding is that Engine Plumbing and Inverter Plumbing is separate ? Correct ? If so there are two different leaks (if) ?
    c) The pink Toyota Coolant is same for both ?
    d) Its simple top up if I buy the coolant from the dealer? or we gotta bleed the air bubbles out / system flush etc.?

Thanks. Any prompt responses appreciated - so that I can go at it from dealer now ! Happy New Year Everyone !

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no need to bleed the system after a top-off. Just fill with Super Long Life Coolant to the proper level, and don't worry about it further.

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Happy New Year! 'what temperature did you measure the coolant level at. I.e. immeadiately after driving and engine was warm or after engine had cooled down? It is normal for the coolan level to be lower when the engine is cold as the radiators will have "sucked" the coolant back in. Immeadiaitely after a drive the coolant level may be closer to the Full mark,

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a) Normal? maybe
    b) Yes
    c)Yes
    d) Simply top up. However it is so incredibly simple to bleed air off, it is a procedure to be familiar with. And air does somehow get into the inverter pump ?? maybe thru osmosis!. :cheer2:

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    a) Depends on the temperature, if you checked it cold it may be OK. I think it should be between the hi and low marks when at normal temperature but the inverter coolant doesn't get very warm. If they are at the low marks it wouldn't hurt to add some and keep an eye on it for a while. Just keep it below the full mark when it's fully warmed up.

b) They are totally separate.

c) Yes both use a 50/50 mixture of Toyota's pink coolant.

d) As mentioned above just add some. No need to bleed unless it is changed and that's at 100K miles or 5 years.