1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant pump B control malfunction (P261B)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Baasan, Aug 10, 2015.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Has nothing you've read in either of your threads about it in the last 3 days seemed to shed any light on that?

2. Boston2008Gen2

Boston2008Gen2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    In 3 days so far, I cleaned the heater core, tested water pump relay ,water pump plug voltage. All good.
    went to a mechanic to read / test wp but his software won't read or test. My techstream crashes when I tried to test wp.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, it's good that you've done some of those things. How did you test the WP plug voltage exactly and what were the results?

The "mechanic's software won't read or test" and "my techstream crashes" are obstacles for sure; it would be easier if one of those could be overcome.

4. Boston2008Gen2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    found a bulletin, D13-2 (NWP) - Body ground 11-14v, D13-1 (+B) - Body ground 11-14v.

I got 12 v on both. So plug is good.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a useful step. I assume you mean you had D13 disconnected from the pump and these measurements were with ignition on and the engine not running. That NWP to WPI circuit is the one that brings the pump speed back to the ECM, which is what P261B is about.

The easiest way I've found to probe it while the pump is operating is where both those circuits pass through the underhood fuse box, as described in this post.

[​IMG]

Top trace is what the WPO - SWP circuit should show, bottom trace the NWP - WPI circuit, when the ECM is requesting about 40% pump speed.

[​IMG]

SFO likes this.
  6. Boston2008Gen2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Yes I did read your thread. I guess I don't have a tool to check that square waves.

I am thinking of checking w/p again. Open and check the propeller.

7. Boston2008Gen2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    BTW, maintenance light is on. Tried TripA,Km + double On, but won't work. Mechanic software won't connect. I am thinking if ECU has issues?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes there can be things that just have to be seen to get to the bottom of a problem. With your Techstream crashing, your mechanic's software not working, and no oscilloscope, you've got drastically restricted visibility into what's going on. Progress on any one of those fronts could make it easier.

Generally oscilloscopes aren't cheap enough to be casual purchases yet (unless there's, like, a university salvage outlet nearby), but an automotive shop or an electronically-inclined buddy might already have one. Also, for the signals involved here, definitely nothing fancy in the oscilloscope department is needed. We're talking tens of Hertz, not megahertz or gigahertz.

9. Boston2008Gen2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I missed to mention my other observation other day.
    At >55 mph in hwy, I got beep noise with "Hybrid system warning" symbol in display. But I pulled error code with my Torque android app that gave me P261B.

At that point I reset error code from app and came home slowly 40mph< to home.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One reason not to drag things out too long when there is a reported water pump code is that even if you are watching the coolant temperature carefully, that's the temperature where the sensor is, and if the coolant isn't being circulated effectively, it can be other temperatures other places; sometimes that even includes localized boiling spots, which separate the coolant from the metal to be cooled. Repeated enough, that can take a toll on the engine.