1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant pump change leaves me with temperature warning.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Britmerican, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Britmerican

Britmerican New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I swapped out the coolant pump as I was getting code p1121. The error went away, but then I noticed a whirring for a few seconds when I start the car (I assume from the new pump) then nothing (the car starts normally other than that). I bled the coolant, but it only pumped half way up the tube I was feeding into the overflow reservoir. No air showed in the tube other than that.

Now, when I drive, if I press the accelerator a little more (driving up a large hill, for example) I get the warning light and it shows me the high coolant temperature symbol on the screen. Is there something i failed to do, or something I should check to see if I can resolve this?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there could still be air, or a bad thermostat.

3. Britmerican

Britmerican New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So best to try to bleed it again? Will try that tomorrow.

4. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just changed the inverter coolant in my 05. I followed the procedure nutz and bolts showed on their you tube. I did notice bubbling and gurgling sounds when first refilling the coolant reservoir. Try their sequence.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Britmerican likes this.
  5. Britmerican

Britmerican New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did bleed it again and it worked. It looks like I didn't open the nipple enough. I got a good quick flow and after 1 minute it so, I had air come through. Then I had gurgling and had to top up.

So glad this worked. Thanks everyone.