1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant pump issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Andrew Smillie, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Andrew Smillie

Andrew Smillie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

I have a 2004 Prius with 230,000 miles on it. I just finished replacing the Inverter (part of the Hybrid system), added coolant back and everything is great. The car drives really well. I went to cycle the coolant on the inverter side to remove the air bubbles and after when I press the start button twice to put it into Accessory mode the inverter pump won't turn on at all. I am just wondering if I have an issue. The Check Engine light is not on but I haven't driven it very much.

If the Inverter pump was bad, wouldn't the check engine light come immediately on?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the only code that will pop is one triggered by the inverter getting hot (P0A93, I think). It can take a while for this to trigger, depending on the speed, length of the drive and ambient outside temperature.

If the pump is not working just replace it. Use a genuine OEM or Asian branded replacement. Don't use a sub $69 online special. They are usually counterfeit junk that will either quickly fail or only work intermittently.

M in KC likes this.