1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

coolant reservoir issue after repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by noctiluca, Jul 29, 2017.

1. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    hi all, yesterday i replaced the coolant control valve and inverter pump on my prius (myself), and after bleeding the air from the coolant line, when i went to top up the coolant it poured out the back of the reservoir. because of its location, i cant tell if the reservoir cracked or if there's a hose that came loose. i felt around the back and it felt like there was a hose back there, but it had a flat edge like it was a manufactured edge.

the service manual doesn't seem to have good diagrams of that area, any insight on what might be going on or reference to any diagrams where i can see what its supposed to look like would be wonderful.

thank you!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found a good picture on EBay. No hose on the back, but a right angle solid plastic tube with o-ring appears to go into the inverter housing.
    s-l1600.jpg

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why are you doing both coolant systems at the same time?
    Thats very difficult.

4. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    For everyone's future information, what happened was I was accidentally pointing the funnel directly into the overflow tube so it was pouring straight out. That hose in the back that I was feeling was an overflow tube for the reservoir.

5. noctiluca

noctiluca Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    It was an accident. It didn't seem that hard but I'm still having issues so maybe it was, is there anything in particular thats hard about it? Now I'm concerned I did something wrong!

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! I hate when that happens!! :D

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's only hard if you don't know the intricacies of the coolant loop.

The Engine coolant loop is very difficult to get air out of the cyl head because of the CHRS system.
    Air gets trapped in the bottle and you have to cycle the bottle motor to bleed it.
    Please use the search forum and seArch CHRS.

The engine is very easy on its coolant but the inverter and trans is very hard on the inverter coolant in my opinion.