1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant reservoir trouble

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Talon45939, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Talon45939

Talon45939 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a third generation Prius from 2014, recently got in a car accident with it and the coolant reservoir was damaged I have managed to fix said reservoir and I’m attempting to refill and prime the radiator with coolant. What can I expect the amount of coolant going into the system to be? And are there any other things I would be aware of?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Less than a gallon if just the reservoir was disconnected . Even if you open the radiator drain its usually about 1-1/3 gallon. The system will bleed itself when the thermostat opens. You will see coolant flow in the reservoir at that time.

Generally you want to put it in Maintenance Mode while parked to circulate the coolant.

A Toyota mechanic explains Maintenance Mode in his recent video.
    You don't need to do the Inverter, remove the undercovers or drain anything. His pump warning is only for the Inverter coolant system.

#2 rjparker, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021