1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant still Overheating and coming out the overflow spout after replacing both fan motor.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jim23, Apr 27, 2023.

1. Jim23

Jim23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    My 2015 Prius Alpha (V) I'm from Fiji and I've been having issue with my car overheating for the past few weeks and after a few troubleshooting i found out that both my cooling fan isn't functioning so I replaced it with new ones 3days ago.After installing both new fan motors I assembled it back together as it was (air flow direction is pulling air from the grill. I filled new coolant in it put it on maintenance mode for a few minutes topped it up abit more and took it for a test drive just a few minutes of driving check engine light along with the hybrid system light are the consistent lights that come on every time. Sometimes, the coolant overheating light comes on.I turn off the car for 10-15 minutes and it runs fine.
    I checked my fluid levels and realized my coolant was down..top it up and let the turn on for a few minutes and witness that as soon as engine overheats the fan kicks in and the hot coolant comes out the overflow spout on the coolant reservoir, it happened again and again and again whenever i fill the coolant again.And now the whenever I do I hard reset on my car by unplugging the 12v battery for a few minutes and plugging it back on and turning the vehicle ON the engine check light comes on in less than 10 minutes.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any idea? Fluid levels are fine, there's no leaks, no smoke, no smell, no noises...etc.what should I do? What do you think it could be? I'm so confused by this.

Thank you in advance so much.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Remove thermostat and verify it's opening???.

Jim23 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Verify water pump is turning and it's varying speed..

Jim23 and Brian1954 like this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That means there consistently are trouble codes every time. Retrieving those codes might quickly reveal what is going on.

Jim23 and Brian1954 like this.