1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant v head gasket life

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by douglasjre, Jan 11, 2020.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of what the article is saying. If I was the owner of a fleet of vehicles similar to the ones I have, I would probably eventually switch over to the generic brands of coolant to save money, after satisfying myself that their characteristics were comparable to coolant recommended by the manufacturer, by experimenting with a couple of cars out of my fleet. But when I only have one or 2 vehicles in total, it probably is safer to just stick with the SLLC recommended by Toyota, even if it costs a little more. Just my 2 cents.

Pluggo likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i tried to read carefully, but didn't see anything about head gaskets

4. Too Old to Clean EGR

Too Old to Clean EGR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Toyota HOAT coolant is reputed to be pretty good stuff. Why would we want to consider a different type? In addition, the primary purpose of changing coolant these days is not that it loses cooling ability, which has an impact on head gaskets, but that it loses corrosion prevention. If corrosion builds up, the blockage may increase heat but the HOAT coolant has one of the longest corrosion prevention lifespan.

douglasjre and davecook89t like this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Because we’re Americans we buy the expensive stuff and take the minimum route to maintain it price wise. One person once asked here if he can put supertech coolant because it was 5$ cheaper.

davecook89t likes this.