1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What is the best coolant for the engine and inverter?

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There may be alternatives, but the price difference between them and Super Long Life Coolant from your Toyota dealer is not worth the risk, from my point of view.

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've also seen chemical reactions occur when people mix coolants. Unless your going to flush-out the entire cooling system with distilled water - I'd just stick to OEM coolant for a quick drain & fill.
    Whatever you save from the cheap stuff at Walmart, you'll be losing in time spent doing the job correctly - IMHO. Then again; if your time isn't worth anything - go for it.....

davecook89t and Doug McC like this.
  4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The Petroleum Quality Institute of America has some helpful information on their website that will help you understand the importance of using the correct coolant in your vehicle.
    Additionally, John Kelly of Weber University and The Car Care Nut both have YouTube videos that will help you understand and make an informed decision on coolants for these vehicles.
    Failure to use the correct coolant will significantly increase your cost of ownership.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you read Toyota's recommendation in the Owner's Manual, you may come to the same conclusion as me. The recommendation:

upload_2022-12-15_9-43-51.png

I read that, and my conclusion: I'm not bright enough to find a suitable alternative, just stick with the Toyota stuff.

6. Wraiththe

Wraiththe Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What sucks is Toyota is not open on Sundays. I had to top mine with the asian red/pink 50/50 premix. Hope it does not destroy the engine eventually. The guy at the store said it was OEM. But I trust no one anyway.