1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooling System Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FredM47046, Aug 17, 2018.

1. FredM47046

FredM47046 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius hybrid is running great after 210,000 miles. When I took it to the dealer for a 30K interval servicing, they told me up front I needed a cooling system service- inverter coolant, for an extra $330. What does this service consist of and why and how often is it needed?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is usually done at 100k miles on your Prius. It's probably draining and refilling the coolant on the engine and Inverter loops.

There are actually a few fluids in the car that needs to be changed.

1. engine oil
    2. transaxle fluid
    3. coolant

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    read the maintenance cecile that came with your car, or download one online if you don't have it.

how many miles have you owned it?

4. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi and hopefully you got it done it worked out in the end for you. Obviously it did for you have over 200k miles!
    I'm just planning or beginning (if I decide) to get all the preventive maintenance on 100k miles on mine. I just found out and for me to start fiddling with the cooling system just to set my peace of mind, I have to deal with changing 5 different parts before they start fumbling on me. Its pretty close to $500.00 just for the parts. Being new to the Prius, I thought it was just a mechanical water pump but there's a lot more to it.
    I worked as a 15A Tech at the Buick dealership when I was young and whenever I encounter an electric heater control valve,, plastic thermostat housing.. blah-blah-blah. 10 to 1 they'll give you a surprise and they don't last.
    No problem with having a used car. Before the Prius I had several Toyotas along the way. 80's Pickups and Corollas which I still have an '86 stock crew-cab and can easily get them up to 300k miles no sweat. Just like what the other gentleman said, it can be helpful and easy as following the maintenance book too. But this is different. As soon as I found out about the several parts and my unfamiliarity with the Prius system, I was thinking about selling the car even if its in excellent condition and just getting me a get around corolla instead. Its the gas saving deal that's connecting me with Prius. When I toured to the Philippines last 2015. I rented a car named Toyota Vios. That car has a 1.3 engine. It was fast and great on gas because of the non emission system. Surprisingly drives 127mph on the Highway. I wanted to take it home but they wont allow it here.
    Anyways hopefully you got your car done.

#4 Classic Car Guy, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019